Cock a doodle d'oh; anyone else being woken by a cockerel?

Ant

I live on Crystal Palace Road and can see the offending cockerel from my top window - it's big, white, fat and very loud very early in the morning! Its been driving my family and I mad, although didn't hear it today. Not sure if its the first one to be kept though, because the other day there was a very strong smell of burning feathers in the air....

Crystal Palace Road is close to me and my hens.

Someone told me that if they smell hens they can fly over and impregnate them.

I didn't think they could fly.

One of my hens has become broody, I wonder if the big fat cockerel has been out partying with my hens.

I wonder if I've been eating little baby chicks rather than unfertilised eggs!

I didn't think they could fly.

Depends on the breed. Older "classic" breeds have a lot less meat on them, and the cockerels will roost up trees if left to their own devices. Not flying as such, more "wing assisted jumping/gliding". Domestic, more modern breeds have a lot more meat on them and the aerodynamics don't work as well. I grew up on a farm and our cockerel would regularly fly up onto the roof to see in the dawn despite his wings being clipped once or twice a year.

In Cuba this year we noticed that just about everyone had a cockerel (and often a pig or two) as well as hens: even government ministries and major research centres.

I suspect we may be seeing more of this around here as our fragile 'civilisation' disintegrates (which I think it will do in the not too distant future).

Chicken Licken indeed.

In the absence of a back garden, will a few beans on my balcony keep me going when the British Empire's decline and fall reaches its eventual conclusion? or should I get a few tins in, just in case?

A healthy free range chicken will be able to flap a few yards. Rescue chickens will probably have weakened wings; whilst the birds themselves will benefit hugely from free range conditions, I suspect that this weakness will not be repairable.

So, if you have weakened and frail rescue chickens, beware of strong virile and healthy free range cockerel Sir Jaspers who are likely to nip over the fence and take advantage.

I heard it this morning at about 7ish after I had fed my baby. I thought the noise was coming from betw Landells and Barry* at LL end but I could be wrong. Fortunately it isn't loud enough to actually wake me up.

*Edited on 24th to say Tsk to my earlier post! Had the windows open last night and heard the damn thing on the hour, every hour from 5am to 9am! Definitely between Landells and CPR and not Barry as I previously thought.

Read this with interest! The offender has been waking us up too (we're on Goodrich, between Friern and Dunstans) and I always thought it was from the house on the corner of Goodrich and Friern...It certainly seems to know when it's Sunday when you can hear him particularly loud and clear. My partner thinks it's rather quaint and suggestive of living in the countryside rather than in Zone 3. I think not! And anyway, when the cockerel fails to serende us at the weekends, you can be sure that the alarm at the Pupil Referral Unit (same stretch of Goodrich Road) is bound to go off! Now that's more like it...

Live v close to the big chicken and also hear it every bleedin' morning. Council will do nothing about it as it is not an offence to own one in built up area, though think it should be; noise pollution may be an issue but they wouldn't treat it as urgent, they tell me. It is on CPR but I won't be silly enough to give the number unless big mob promises to go round with hammer. Anyone know where I can buy a fox?

Just rang and explained my predicament and was put through to environmental lady who was completely bemused and had to refer to her superior. Didn't lodge official complaint but might. One of my kids has been up at 5.45 'inexplicably' since arrival of cockerel. RSPCA would get involved if living conditions not up to standard, but not sure what those would be.

Have just spoken to the noise pollution lot at the council. Their suggestion is to call when the cockerel kicks off and they'll log it as a 'rapid response' call and send someone out ASAP. Essentially they're going to treat it the same way as they would a dog barking constantly.

They've acknowledged that he will probably have stopped by the time they get out there, but said that it's still worth calling none the less. Also the fact that this bird seems to indulge in a few bouts of crowing throughout the morning means if they hang around a bit they may well hear him eventually.

If you're woken by it the number to call (24 hours) is 020 7525 5777.

Ant Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you're woken by it the number to call (24

> hours) is 020 7525 5777.

Aha, good to have that number for reporting that annoying early Saturday morning bin-lorry!!!