Cycling on the pavement

NickT

I've been to Japan a couple of times, and I think cycling on the pavement works very well there. People cycle considerately and at a fairly slow pace, and always stop and junctions... i.e. they behave like pedestrians. The incident in the OP probably wouldn't happen, because the cyclist would be crossing with caution. If you want to bomb along, you use the road instead.

Another thing which really impressed me (also mentioned in the article) were the huge - and cheap - bicycle "parking" facilities at every station.

Excellent article. It highlights that the way forward is to cycle on pavements. family travel has to be by car because it is just isnt safe enough on the roads for young children. It is generally accepted that cycling should be encouraged for health and environment and cost benefits yet in the formative years children experience driving as normal as it is so hard to get kids anywhere any way else. That doesnt mean reckless on the pavements but as Japan understands bikes are clearly part pedestrain part vehicle. most adult cyclists would then use roads mostly anyway as it would be quicker but shouldnt be stigmatised (or be breaking the law) if for part of journeys used pavements.

Looks like an achievable compromise between all dedicated cycle lanes on the roads and our current situation. How hard can it be to implement some of the Japanese ideas in London. It seems Japan is trying to encourage more cycling and look to be doing a good job so far.

I think the description of those who travel by cycle as part pedestrian, part vehicle a good one which needs to be pushed in the UK, instead of the insistence that cyclists are vehicles and should comply with motorist based rules of the road. It is clear cyclists are not comparable to motorists.

It's a start Jeremy. The current situation is totally inadequate and will have to change at some stage. These ideas are a good place to start.

If pavements are too narrow there could be other measures implemented, but changing the definition of cycles as vehicles, on a par with cars, lorries etc must be made before ideas on cycle safety can really be fit for purpose.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Southwark Community Wardens will over the next

> couple of weeks be holding special patrols along

> Lordsihp Lane targetted at pavement cycling.

How do we challenge this policy?

Is it decided at Police Panel meetings or something?

James Barber Wrote:

> Southwark Community Wardens will over the next

> couple of weeks be holding special patrols along

> Lordsihp Lane targetted at pavement cycling.

I don't agree with cycling on the pavements generally, but of all the things that these wardens could be doing to make our lives safer they pick this? Wow.

Lowlander Wrote:

> Statistically speaking you're more likely to be

> struck by lightning, win the lottery or be killed

> by a motorist going through a red light than be

> hit by a person riding a bicycle on the pavement.

>

> So what's your point - are you lumping lemmings

> like the one you describe with all cyclists in a

> ploy to bash cyclists?

>

> It just sounds like you've been waiting your

> entire life to view an accident like the one you

> desribe!

guess she should have played the lottery that day :)

We've just come back from Vienna, where cyclists behave themselves by keeping to the areas where they are supposed to cycle. It was a bit of a shock to return to ED and to see the usual bunch of cyclists travelling along the pavements without a care for anyone but themselves.

However, this in no way excuses the fact that responsible (I emphasise the word "responsible") cyclists cycling on roads are very often being put in danger (and worse) from bad driving by reckless motorists and lorry drivers.

This thread really surprises me. I can think of only a handful of times when I've seen cycling on pavements in the 12 years I've lived in ED. And only once did it seem a problem.

Is it really a huge problem warranting such a response and intervention from community officers?

There are many more infringements of traffic law that take place in ED that have a more likely dangerous outcome. Cars parked across crossing dropped kerbs, school coaches blocking townley road, buses parking on double yellows at road junctions, terrible driver behaviour towards lollipop ladies, cars, buses and motirbikes in advanced stop boxes... etc etc I've seen these things time and time again but cyclists on pavements beyond children and the odd nervous novice? hardly at all.

bawdy-nan Wrote:

> Sorry to hear that sue. Rye lane is shared use in

> part (from pulse end to primark bit). There's a

> marked division but its not very clear. Especially

> for pedestrians I think. Safe cycling use is

> basically pootling speed.

xxxxxx

Apparently this was on the pavement near Holland and Barrett, so yes from what you say that could have been in a "shared" bit of Rye Lane, but do you mean the pavement is shared along this section between pedestrians and cyclists? Why can the cyclists not use the road?

The cyclist in question did not bother to stop, or apologise, and all my OH saw was the back of him as he sped away whilst OH picked himself up cursing :(

Sue ,yes this is the shared bit .If you look closely you'll see a faint difference in shade and colour .

This bit is a contraflow for cyclists and road not wide enough to use in both directions .

I always thought it was a mad idea and that the glossy "consultation" was an expensive sham .

As a cyclist I really wouldn't use that route it's not worth the hassle .

Hope your partner is ok and sorry cyclist didn't stop .

Hi Sue

It is that bit and, yes, it is really hard to see. The pavement is divided into two sections, the closest to the road being designated for cyclists. Cyclists can't use the road there to go towards the station end of Rye Lane because buses take up the width of the road. When I cycle there there are often pedestrians drifting into the cycle path area so I go very slowly and say excuse me.

Its awful that the cyclist didn't stop.

In light of the above, Sue, do you mind editing your post to reflect the fact the cyclist was legitimately cycling on a cycle path (admittedly not easy to see) and your OH wandered into said cycle path.

Clearly the cyclist is a nob for not stopping after colliding with him, but I know how frustrating it is cycling through there with pedestrians stepping in front of you all the time or walking along the path with headphones on not listening to requests to get out of the way.

LadyDeliah Wrote:

> In light of the above, Sue, do you mind editing

> your post to reflect the fact the cyclist was

> legitimately cycling on a cycle path (admittedly

> not easy to see) and your OH wandered into said

> cycle path.

>

> Clearly the cyclist is a nob for not stopping

> after colliding with him, but I know how

> frustrating it is cycling through there with

> pedestrians stepping in front of you all the time

> or walking along the path with headphones on not

> listening to requests to get out of the way.

xxxxxxx

As I wasn't with my OH when it happened, I don't know whether or not the cyclist was on the "legitimate cycle path" .

I will ask my OH which half of the pavement it happened on, and if my OH was walking in the "wrong place" then yes I will amend my post.

He said the cyclist came "hurtling round the corner" and was clearly going too fast to stop - assuming he was actually looking where he was going.

Lady D - it looks like (having now read this thread) that I must have unknown to me at the time walked into the cycle lane, Now I know that part of the pavement is a designated cycle area I will more aware in future - a couple of people asked if I was ok , but I couldnt believe the behaviour of the cyclist.

LadyDeliah Wrote:

> In light of the above, Sue, do you mind editing

> your post to reflect the fact the cyclist was

> legitimately cycling on a cycle path (admittedly

> not easy to see) and your OH wandered into said

> cycle path.

>

> Clearly the cyclist is a nob for not stopping

> after colliding with him, but I know how

> frustrating it is cycling through there with

> pedestrians stepping in front of you all the time

> or walking along the path with headphones on not

> listening to requests to get out of the way.

The 'cycle path' (poorly designed, poorly signed) is in fact a shared use path where pedestrians have priority, much the same as Surrey Canal Walk (no signage?). Cyclists should use these paths displaying as much care and courtesy to pedestriansas they would expect a driver to show them on the road, not go barrelling down the path shouting at people to get out of the way as I have seen. If a pedestrian can't see or hear you approaching, slow down to walking pace, it will only be for a few seconds.