Old Moo Too, Sew East Dulwich Shop 45 Lordship Lane

IanSE22

Am very saddened if any foundation in the rumour that this lovely shop will be taken over shortly by another big chain coffee shop. What a shame this is another nail in the coffin to the independent local businesses in Lordship Lane, turning the street in to just another bland UK high street given over to corporates. What a pity the LL landlords are so greedy that their rents preclude the eclectic businesses that originally gave ED its own identity the chance to thrive and prosper and keep ED original and special.

Is it possible to find out who some of these landlords are who are pushing up rents on Lordship Lane and North Cross Road? We hear a lot about how greedy they are and how they couldn't care less about the character and make-up of East Dulwich. Is there a list, and is it in the public domain?

Not wishing to be harsh but if a shop fails on what is a prominent thoroughfare, surely it means it was either a bad idea, in the wrong place anyway or badly run? Would it not be better to have anything successful (albeit preferably something unique and interesting) than something that fails?

To be fair James the shop that was there hardly failed, it had been there for almost ten years, but the rent increases were mainly instrumental in its demise. Also note several businesses have closed along the lane over last few months, ie Black Cherry, Draft House, Green and Blue, Lush Designs, Old Villa (due to go), Grace & Favour (well established), Soup dragon etc etc. the pattern is the rents are out of control and the independent businesses just cannot compete with chains. E Dulwich is rapidly losing its individuality

Agreed @IanSE22. But it?s not just the rents. Business rates are a killer and are based on the rental value of the premises, so in East Dulwich they just keep going up as well. Miss one payment instalment or part of, with Southwark Council and it is straight to the Magistrates Court, extra costs and a potential visit from the bailiffs. Just to play music in a shop can cost up to ?2,000 a year in licence royalty fees.

Banks are now very reluctant to allow landlords to lease shops to independents unless they have an established history of trading. They view them as too high risk to enable the landlords to pay their interest commitments. In the short term in East Dulwich I am sure that shops will be rented out when they become available, however I am not so sure about the long term look of the high St.

eddie: I think the figure you quote for playing music in a shop is bit misleading. According to their tariff (here) the PRS licence for a shop up to 100 square meters - say the old chemist on the corner of LL and Matham Grove - is ?151 a year. Shops larger than 6,000 square meters (are there many on Lordship Lane?) can pay "up to ?2,000 a year" but only if they've been caught without a licence. The PPL licence (for record companies/performers) is at a similar level ("your music licence could cost ?122.64 a year").

BJL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> eddie: I think the figure you quote for playing

> music in a shop is bit misleading. According to

> their tariff (here) the PRS licence for a shop up

> to 100 square meters - say the old chemist on the

> corner of LL and Matham Grove - is ?151 a year.

> Shops larger than 6,000 square meters (are there

> many on Lordship Lane?) can pay "up to ?2,000 a

> year" but only if they've been caught without a

> licence. The PPL licence (for record

> companies/performers) is at a similar level ("your

> music licence could cost ?122.64 a year").

PPL keep billing me ?1800. They joys of having high ceilings!:)

Hi IanSE22, how do you know it is going to be a coffee shop? Were you that chap that worked there?

IanSE22 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Am very saddened if any foundation in the rumour

> that this lovely shop will be taken over shortly

> by another big chain coffee shop. What a shame

> this is another nail in the coffin to the

> independent local businesses in Lordship Lane,

> turning the street in to just another bland UK

> high street given over to corporates. What a pity

> the LL landlords are so greedy that their rents

> preclude the eclectic businesses that originally

> gave ED its own identity the chance to thrive and

> prosper and keep ED original and special.

Call me Ishmael, call me what you like, but if a shop opens up that you don't like, don't darken their welcome mat.

I've never stood in a Starbucks, originally I just never got round to it, but after a couple/three years I started punting it as a matter of principle.

Except when closely cross-examined on the matter I couldn't come up with six good reasons as to why I refused to patronise the shops.

So I resorted to waving my blackthorn stick about and loudly proclaiming how much 'agin' it I was.

That put paid to them logicians and their so-called thought and reasoning.

I went to the Nero upstairs in Morleys once, but that was only because my companion was both in charge and beguiling.

Not been in one since.