Urgent: boarding up after burglary

kjcroft

Thank you muffins78. Someone is on their way over, so all is in hand. To the previous poster, if I had the materials to do it myself, then clearly I would be doing it now, rather than spending time on a community forum making a genuine request for help....

At 3 minutes to 10 on a Friday evening, I think I'd be able to find bits of timber and nail them carefully to a window frame faster than it'd take to go on a forum, post a slightly odd request, and wait for the answers to roll in! Also, like ElmGrove says, the insurance company hotline should be the second port of call, after the police...

Bluerevolution Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ... but you can wait

> hours for property to be made secure that way...

Which is why I'd be popping round to the neighbours with timber and hammer and nails myself, immediately (and indeed, did so last year), rather than going online and trying to get someone else to do it. Or are you deliberately missing my point?

But hey, woman expresses opinion on net, gets called odious little sh*t and heartless bastard. Friendly lot, aren't you?

I think that some people may not even have the tools/materials and may not be able to do it. I, for one, would not be able to do it - and I'd have to ask for help from another. I'm glad your neighbours house was made secure and I hope they are okay after a very invasive event happening to them.

alldownhillfromhere Wrote:

> But hey, woman expresses opinion on net, gets

> called odious little sh*t and heartless bastard.

> Friendly lot, aren't you?

xxxxxx

So this was friendly and helpful to somebody trying to help a neighbour out?

"Erm, why not do it yourself? It's not exactly rocket science."

Well to me the OP smacks of 'look at me, see how wonderful I am helping out my neighbours, glory glory'. Otherwise, why take the time to come onto a forum and request urgent help instead of going on to Google and searching for a company to do just what EDFers are being asked to supply the info for?! The abuse ADHFH got is not on. It might not have been the greatest worded post of all time but didn't deserve the abuse. Who even knows if anyone was burgled, or if the alleged burgled neighbours merited aid. If you genuinely want to help someone use a search engine or phonebook.

Exactly, the whole thing just seemed a bit skewhiff, a bit 'two cheers for being nearly helpful'.

When my neighbour got burgled, I rang her (she was on a late shift), and rang the police, then when they were done, I scared up some planks of wood from other neighbours (which also gave me the chance to warn the neighbourhood what had happened) and helped her cover the window, and sat with her for a few hours until her husband rushed home from Birmingham.

Good grief, you are a sad bunch, aren't you? I fail to see why I'm getting all this abuse, unless it's just because you like it.

I asked the original poster why they didn't go and sort it out themselves, what with it being pretty easy to do ie. not rocket science, and I get called an odious sh*t, a heartless bastard and now a... well, whatever it is you can't find another, less censorable way to say, edcam. Come on folks, enlighten me, why is it sh*tty and heartless and so on to suggest a better, more neighbourly way to look out for someone?

Maybe the OP thought that by asking for advice about a company they could call late at night for such a simple job some kindly, sympathetic EDF samaritan would pipe up and offer to run round with some wood and nails and do it for them straight away...and before another debate kicks off there's nothing wrong at all if that was in the back of their mind...

I wouldn't be a great neighbour then, because I would have none of the tools/materials needed to give anyone help, I'd also not have the skills needed most likely (in case I caused more damage to their property) - and I'd come on here and see if there was anyone who could help. Everyone does what they can do to help in any situation, I would be grateful for any help. I'd not scorn or be upset towards someone because they couldn't do exactly as I needed.

alldownhillfromhere Wrote:

> Good grief, you are a sad bunch, aren't you? I

> fail to see why I'm getting all this abuse, unless

> it's just because you like it.

>

> I asked the original poster why they didn't go and

> sort it out themselves, what with it being pretty

> easy to do ie. not rocket science, and I get

> called an odious sh*t, a heartless bastard and now

> a... well, whatever it is you can't find another,

> less censorable way to say, edcam. Come on folks,

> enlighten me, why is it sh*tty and heartless and

> so on to suggest a better, more neighbourly way to

> look out for someone?

What an unpleasant individual you are.

What a bizarre thread this has become. Like my friend, the OP, I wouldn't have started looking for a hammer (I don't have a stash of timber in my house either) I'd have tried the EDF - prior to Google - just to see if somebody who'd been in a similar position locally could recommend anyone...I bet she's wishing she hadn't bothered now, but most importantly her neighbour's house was eventually secured...

edcam Wrote:

> alldownhillfromhere Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Good grief, you are a sad bunch, aren't you? I

> > fail to see why I'm getting all this abuse,

> unless

> > it's just because you like it.

> >

> > I asked the original poster why they didn't go

> and

> > sort it out themselves, what with it being

> pretty

> > easy to do ie. not rocket science, and I get

> > called an odious sh*t, a heartless bastard and

> now

> > a... well, whatever it is you can't find

> another,

> > less censorable way to say, edcam. Come on

> folks,

> > enlighten me, why is it sh*tty and heartless

> and

> > so on to suggest a better, more neighbourly way

> to

> > look out for someone?

>

> What an unpleasant individual you are.

Explain.

Not everybody has DIY skills, alldownhillfromhere.

Your post was unnecessarily unpleasant in response to somebody trying to help out a neighbour at ten o'clock at night.

And now to complain about people's responses to it here:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?12,1167976,1186258,page=4#msg-1186258

and to suggest that "if English isn't their first language, I can recommend a course" is just, it seems, a further demonstration of your true nature.

ETA: As was, in your second post, calling the OP's perfectly reasonable attempt to get information for their neighbour a "slightly odd request".

Perhaps you would like to tell us what on earth you found "odd" about it?

I'd be delighted if I had a caring neighbour who tried to help me out in this way.

Archived