Annoying birds

Certainly colourful, though as you say the sound isn't a patch on blackbirds and thrushes. Suppose it's only the same as other exotic birds like pheasants and peacocks.

I particularly like the sound of woodpigeons - very restful. Can feel my eyelids going just thinking about it.

Wank-poo, wanky-poo - sounds like my resident wren. So sweet! Then there are blue tits and robins, both species are pretty unmelodic that early as well. Blackbirds sing beautifully. One perches on my roof ridge - I can see it out of the window at dawn. Worth waking up early just to listen! (And as someone said, soon it will be dark, and the dawn chorus will merge into traffic and plane noise. I know what I would rather have.)

Jaco24, if you want to check if it was really a blackbird that woke you, try the bird identifier on the RSPB website. You can search by name, colour or feathers and then listen to a sample of its song. Brilliant!

Bet you wish you'd never mentioned it now, don't you?

I saw black one with an orange tail on the parapet at work today (I'm on the 7th floor) and according to the site it was a fairly rare black redchat. Nice.

Ms B I have already checked thats how sad and obsessed I became. It seems to have buggered off for the past few mornings. Either that or the white wine in the evening is doing the trick as suggested by chavwivlawdegree

Pigeons - could there be a more annoying bird? My elderly neighbour feeds them loaves of bread 3 or 4 times a day despite several neighbours asking her not to. They blocked my downpipe with moss, and poop all over the window ledges. Whilst being clever enough to know food is on the horizon, they are not quite bright enough to remember which house, so they sit outside my front door waiting (frightening the life out of my son) or if they feel they have waited too long they divebomb my windows! Wish they would bugger off!

Perhaps I should switch places with the OP. At the beginning of the month I heard some unusal birdcalls, so got out my binoculars and started taking a closer interest in the birdlife at the back of the house. I was ever so pleased with myself for eventually spotting and identifying four sparrowhawks, who have taken to hanging around, mainly just perching and watching.

The very considerable downside of this is that I don't think I've seen or heard a single head of the local small community of songbirds in the past week. I just hope that most of them managed to get asylum elsewhere. I'd swap them for the sparrowhawks any day.

JJB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You should live opposite Nunhead Cemetery - 4.30am

> every morning with every species known to man

> squawking it's head off. There seems to be a few

> pairs of escaped green parakeets making the most

> noise along with Mr & Mrs Woodpecker. It's enough

> to drive anyone mad, just on eBay looking under

> 'shotguns'...

I have to concur - living opposite the Cemetery is not the best any more. First noticed the parakeets there last year - they are all you can hear most of the time now. Before it was more varied and quieter