Starting reception part-time - advice gratefully recieved

MichelleT

Dear forumites,

My DS will be 4 in July next year, which I feel is a bit young to start school full time in September, so am thinking of sending him part time and keeping him at nursery part time, and gradually increasing the school and reducing the nursery hours. Has anyone else done this? Would love to hear from you?!

Thanks,

M

I've no direct experience of your case, but I do remember that his settling in process at school was stretched over 3 weeks - so the children do have a lengthy settling in period anyway. Reception class is also very similar to nursery, so if you were still going to send your son to nursery as well I don't think it would make too much difference in terms of tiredness etc.

Also, the change from 'school' to 'nursery' on a regular basis may be a little disruptive. I have a friend who's son was 4 on 2nd September and as a result he's started school nursery for the part time allocation, but then goes to his day nursery for the rest of the time. However, because the day nursery is in the same location, he's getting very confused and she's thinking of stopping that.

If you feel that your son will be too young to start school in September next year, then I would consider deferring entirely until January/Easter, rather than trying to do both (which basically will just mean more to-and fro-ing for you too!). But don't forget, there is still a year to go, and the little ones grow up a LOT between 3 and 4, so you may feel much happier next summer.

Hope this helps!

My August born son started reception in September at just 4 and thrived. I was worried about settling as he was so young and also shy, but in fact he loved it. I think that it is probably easier for them to settle if they are doing full days as that is what everyone else is doing. They seemed to mostly play all day, inside and out, with free play, home corner and other activities, so much like nursery with a bit of phonics in the morning and maybe a maths activity thrown in somewhere.

I would agree that deferring to Jan might be better than going part time, but would recommend full time based on our experience.

With a June birthday, maybe 3/4 of the class will be older, and 1/4 younger.... not a bad place to be!

Well worth asking to discuss with the school as well as they might give an idea of practicalities, or perhaps reassure you.

My daughter is also 30th August and started reception last year. I talked with the school beforehand about her going part time as I was worried about tiredness. She had about 2 weeks of only going in a few days/part days (their normal settling in procedure), and by the end of that she was FURIOUS when I said she might not want to go in every day (she loves it so much). So she went full time (and was fine, although ocassionally napped at the weekend).

I went to look at a school this morning and was reassured by the reception set up which really didn't look much different to nursery with kids hurling in and out and playing with mud etc. Also talked to the staff about how they work with the younger ones, so feeling much more relaxed.

Is your son the eldest / only child?

My 2 year old is a late July baby, but she's the younger sister (her sister was 4 in April and has just started school). Even though the older one is nearly 4.5, she still seems so little to be going to school. I think the younger one will be raring to go in a couple of years time though.

I really don't understand the point of differing the start date until January when the rest of the children have already settled in and made friends; this seem more disruptive to me than starting in September. Normally most reception classes give lots of freedom to the children and have a slow introduction to school