Lordship Lane pavements

PandG

We questioned Court Lane as well, but there are specific criteria and priority lists which are out of the borough's control. However, we managed to use this situation to get other nearby pavement replacements funded. It's frustrating having no actual power, councillors can only make representations and query decisions.

We don't even have a Town Hall anymore, we have a hot-desking facility miles away at the top of the borough.

I heard things were pretty questionable a few years ago (before my time), but as far as I can tell all the bidding processes are robust now and everything is above board.

I keep a pretty close eye on all works in Village ward, mostly because I'm a pavement and highways geek. The officers know that I'm going to be out sniffing around, so everyone tends to do a good job to shut me up.

If anyone has any specific information that they would like me to check out, then let me know offlist.

The twinkly light failures were due to dodgy goods sold by Philips replaced at their expense.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >

> > Like painting Bollards pretty colours and

> carving

> > Totem Poles.

> >

> > DulwichFox

>

> You forgot the twinkly lights outside the station

> that need mending at huge expense

rch Wrote:

> We questioned Court Lane as well, but there are

> specific criteria and priority lists which are out

> of the borough's control. However, we managed to

> use this situation to get other nearby pavement

> replacements funded. It's frustrating having no

> actual power, councillors can only make

> representations and query decisions.

>

> We don't even have a Town Hall anymore, we have a

> hot-desking facility miles away at the top of the

> borough.

>

> I heard things were pretty questionable a few

> years ago (before my time), but as far as I can

> tell all the bidding processes are robust now and

> everything is above board.

>

> I keep a pretty close eye on all works in Village

> ward, mostly because I'm a pavement and highways

> geek. The officers know that I'm going to be out

> sniffing around, so everyone tends to do a good

> job to shut me up.

>

> If anyone has any specific information that they

> would like me to check out, then let me know

> offlist.

The council offices at tooley st is the 'town hall'. Didn't you know that rch? And conway have permanent staff there in the public realm team don't they'

James Barber Wrote:

> The twinkly light failures were due to dodgy goods

> sold by Philips replaced at their expense.

But that's only the latest phase in the history of these lights, which goes back about to the installation of the white ones about eight years ago, after which they gradually fizzled out.

PandG Wrote:

> Don't you think the pavements along Lordship Lane

> are now dangerous and an eyesore?

>

> LB Lewisham are spending a fortune on the

> pavements on Sydenham High Street - is it time

> Southwark did ours?

Couldn't agree more, but see that this thread has since focussed on whether it needs to be done, loose pavings etc.

Can't an argument be made from an added value perspective rather than a necessary repair perspective? The nature of the lane would change for the better with a paving revamp and as its the focal point of ED it would benefit everyone who shops there or eats/drinks outside.

Outside franklins farm shop, pizza gogo, moxons etc its a mish mash of different uneven surfaces.

Having a great environment is something we're striving for.

But redoing the pavements would cause massive disruption to all those small businesses.

So we have some spot repairs around the shoe shop to remove ponding that should be taking place now. Longer term we're apporaching the South Southwark Business Association.

Update on the Melbourne Grove pavement outside the hairdressers. Chap came on Monday morning to 'fix' them. Seven are now wobbly again. Completely useless. And yes, it's Conways. Please can one of our councillors get them to do them *again* at their own expense and not ours.

edited for sp

• 5 months later...

James Barber Wrote:

> Having a great environment is something we're

> striving for.

> But redoing the pavements would cause massive

> disruption to all those small businesses.

>

BS ..... Just get it done James. Lordship Lane pavements are just poor and any decent eating area in London has had a pavement revamp. It will be a little pain for lots of gain for the small businesses.

Two points for Green Goose:

1) The pavement between EDG and Gilkes Place was done as a result of regular complaints from residents and parents who use the infant school along there, which I forwarded to highways engineers for investigation. They inspected the stretch and agreed that there were enough trip hazards which warranted resurfacing, especially given the high concentration of young children, and then put it on a list of recommendations that was passed by the Cabinet. Also bear in mind that tarmac is a lot cheaper than paving stones, so it's very cost-effective. So it was all above board.

Because of the large concentration of schools and school children in Village ward, we work very closely with council school safety officers and Safer Routes to School.

2) The works to Glengarry are part of a bigger cross-ward scheme to implement a 20mph zone along EDG, which had the highest-ever positive consultation feedback that we've seen in 8 years.

The junction at Glengarry is going to be raised across the whole road (and Melbourne as well, in addition to other raised pedestrian crossing points to act as a more organic method of speed calming), the pedestrian zebra crossing is going to be moved to that junction, and the bus stop on the other side of the road is going to be moved back to the indented railings, where it originally used to be in preparation for the redevelopment of the hospital site.

In conjunction with this, the bus stop on the parade was built out so that buses can access it better, so the whole dynamic will work well together when it's finished.

The reason why the Glengarry works have taken so long is because of all the preparation works to the drainage and electrics (for the zebra) in advance of the raised junction. All the works are being done on one side of EDG first and then the other so that traffic flow disruption is kept to a minimum... the Melbourne Grove junction is going to be next and then on down to Lordship and then the raised junctions will be done around June.

There's another discussion thread about this scheme on this forum somewhere.

Opposite problem for me in honor oak park....have had two weeks of disruption and cant park in my driveway due to road resurfacing and new footpaths. I have noticed that all the new resurfacing and new footpaths are occurring in areas serviced by London Overground...honor oak, sydenham, penge west and starting in anerley shortly.