Map of school furthest distance offers 2013 - inc. faith schools & academies

According to the tool on that website, we also live over 100m further from 2 schools that I know the Southwark council's distance measurement for. Maybe the tool on that site is not that accurate, or at least just very inconsistent with the method that Southwark uses.

srisky Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Interesting and thank you but I am even more

> confused now!

>

> According to the tool on this thread:

> http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?2

> 9,1175341, we are 267m from Goodrich and 190m from

> Heber, as the crow flies. This was the stated

> method used (as opposed to safest walking route)

> to calculate the distance in the starting school

> booklet for 2014/15 and we are within the furthest

> distance offered for both schools. However,

> according to the interactive map on this thread we

> are out of the catchment for both schools.

> Obviously, there are likely to be errors in the

> map when calculating distance but unlikely to be

> by almost 100m.

>

> So, what else is considered when deciding who to

> offer to (other than siblings) which would mean

> that even at 190m we are outside the catchment?

Thanks to the OP for creating this tool, the only problem from what I can gather is that the initial published distances change so much after shakedown and after bulge classes are announced (e.g. I know people who live much much further got into Fairlawn this year as it bulged).

"trefford21's update now shows the proper extent of the East Dulwich blackhole.

This has been discussed on the EDF in previous years.

Southwark does nothing about this."

Neither of these are true. As trefford says, the map doesn't include either Goose Green or St Johns and St Clements because the data is not available. And Southwark have responded to increased pressure on primary school places in ED by having bulge classes.

In addition, there are several schools on the map that accepted all on-time applicants, so the "balck hole" picture is a bit misleading. There are several schools that cover that area.

DaveR Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "trefford21's update now shows the proper extent

> of the East Dulwich blackhole.

>

> This has been discussed on the EDF in previous

> years.

>

> Southwark does nothing about this."

>

> Neither of these are true. As trefford says, the

> map doesn't include either Goose Green or St Johns

> and St Clements because the data is not available.

> And Southwark have responded to increased

> pressure on primary school places in ED by having

> bulge classes.

Hi Trefford21, It is great that you have done this. All parents looking at this should be aware that all Faith schools, Academies/Free Schools and any LA school that was able to offer all first round applications for whom this was their highest ranked school a place are missing from your map. St John and St Clements, DVI, St Mary Magdalene & St Francesca Cabrini all had a partial non-faith intake and aren't there (all except STFC =50% on distance).(Also St Anthony's) The Harris Primaries, GG and new Free schools, Judith Kerr and Haberdasher's Askes (just within Lewisham)aren't there and finally Langbourne and Hollydale aren't on your map. So lots of schools! This is a map of LA community primaries only.

Every on-time applicant in Southwark was offered a primary school place on national offer day 2013. There was subsequently much movement on waiting lists. Like many other LAs Southwark has seen an increase in demand for primary school places. There will be expansions and bulges providing extra capacity for 2014 entry. The information on which Southwark schools will provide this extra capacity is usually available about a month before the closing date. Various factors such as nos of children at local nurseries, birth rates at local hospitals etc are collated to produce a prediction of likely numbers of applicants in different parts of the Borough in future years.

I'm very happy to help anyone who needs advice/assistance with their primary school applications.

Renata

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, an important thing to realise is that Southwark does not have "catchments" for its primary schools. The distance of the last place offered differs from year to year; this is dependent on the number of applicants it has and where they live, which category they fall into (eg siblings etc) and whether there is a bulge class. If you information about a specific school or your nearest schools you could contact the Admissions team on 02075255337 or email them at [email protected] , or my contact details are below.

Srisky, I've looked at this link, it has information about current attendees by ward, but doesn't give you specific information. The Southwark Starting Primary School Brochure gives you information of last place offered distances for Southwark Community Schools on National Offer Day in 2013; so a specific snapshot for a specific cohort of applicants. Useful for a guideline, but nothing more!

I am wondering Treffold, if it would be better to rename your thread, Last Place Offered Distance Map for Offer Day 2013.

In terms of Bessemer Grange,it is currently in the process of expanding from 2 to 3 forms. It will be bulging in 2014 and the expansion is due to be complete for 2015 entry.

Renata

Hi All,

Thanks for all the feedback, including Jo for sharing the Goose Green furthest distance offer.

The map has now been updated to include Dulwich Hamlet and Goose Green (academies), Haberdashers (free school) and faith schools, though because they have different admissions criteria, I'm not showing furthest distance for them.

Link on OP has been updated, but here it is again...

http://datacollator.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/primary-schools-around-east-dulwich.html

Thanks for adding in the extra schools.

I think it is a useful tool for parents, however to emphasise, this is a snapshot of what happened on Offer Day 2013 and is a plot of last place offer distances on that day. Distances may be larger or smaller in 2014 and also there is movement on waiting lists from April until September and even later as children sometimes don't turn up for the start of term. It may highlight schools you haven't thought of!

Renata

I think everyone understands that there are no catchment areas set in stone. If there were things would be a lot more straightforward; none of this uncertainty, parents would know from the off which school they would get into and which it would be pointless applying for.

As it is, we have to take a gamble on what schools to put down; put a close but popular one down at the top of the list and it might mean you don't get any of your choices. Trefford's map just gives you the previous form and makes the gamble a bit better informed.

• 11 months later...

Not sure how accurate that is as it shows Charter on my list and theres no way we would be in their catchment or do I know of anyone near me (goose gree/bellended are)

The rest were Harris or Thomas the apostle in Nunhead....didn't show Sydenham Girls the school a lot of girls around here get into including my daughter!

It does show how there is absolutely no choice for this area!