What is East Dulwich Missing - Food Wise

A decent, smart cafe with good consistent coffee & breakfasts - the best near here are Brixton & Camberwell.

Food wise the choice round here is middle of the road at best, and it's really puzzling as to why there are not better places.

Japanese

Middling to Decent Thai (Thai Corner manages the impressive task of being mediocre at best)

Middle Eastern of any kind - an Al Anouk would be awesome

Pizza East (The Gowlett is good, but a proper boozer first and foremost)

Mediterranean

Vietnamese

Veg/Vegan/Raw - take your pick from the many great examples in W/E/N/Central London

Euro Brasserie

Italian

I haven't been here long but have eaten my way across most of the rest of london and there's so much amazing stuff out there (that's generally also cheaper) that ED could massively benefit from.

Locale on east dulwich rd does good steak and it's half price on Mondays :-)

Would love a decent caribbean restaurant

Hisar and Koz serve the same sort of food you find in a lebanese restaurant, tasty but a high-end lebanese restaurant would be welcome

jamie3 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Japanese

> Middling to Decent Thai (Thai Corner manages the

> impressive task of being mediocre at best)

> Middle Eastern of any kind - an Al Anouk would be

> awesome

> Pizza East (The Gowlett is good, but a proper

> boozer first and foremost)

> Mediterranean

> Vietnamese

> Veg/Vegan/Raw - take your pick from the many great

> examples in W/E/N/Central London

> Euro Brasserie

> Italian

>

> I haven't been here long but have eaten my way

> across most of the rest of london and there's so

> much amazing stuff out there (that's generally

> also cheaper) that ED could massively benefit

> from.

I've never heard anyone call the Thai Corner Cafe mediocre at best! I've had many Thai's all over London, and it's up there for me. So many people I meet who've been to ED remember one thing about it, and that's their visit to that restaurant! :))

Calling the Thai Corner Cafe 'mediocre' is harsh, and I feel unwarranted.

This kind of thing is all subjective of course, but let's be honest - it's not Nahm or Royal Thai, and it's not trying to be. I'll agree they do some stuff better than others, but for the prices asked I think it's alright.

What I want to see round here is good Vietnamese, so I don't have to trek to Dalston for that.

Well, here's the thing - your acceptance or rejection of the statement really isn't of any importance. I offered an opinion and stand by it, along with my right to not get drawn into justifying stuff to arbitrary debating standards defined by people I don't know for reasons that remain vague. There's always Sue's negative comments on TCC to take issue with if you want to keep going.

Whatever dude, I mean you've missed the point but whatever.

All I asked was for some examples to back up your point, which right now doesn't extend beyond you saying you are right and I'm wrong. Not hugely persuasive. You may of course feel that you don't need to justify it to me - and you're of course right - but it's a pretty simple question.

What about TCC earns it the status of mediocre? I'm no associated with them in any way, I just think people shouldn't say something us crap and leave it at that. If you're going to slate something the least you can do is back it up. For example, Sue described small portions. Fair enough. She also posted that back in 2010 when I remember it went bad for a while. But I think they've raised their game since. Portions are better, seasoning is better and the food has th flavour I remember. I'll agree the salads aren't much cop, and most of the starters the same.

Anyway, it's up to you if you want to see this as some kind of attack - which it's not. Just honest and serious questions.

I'm really surprised that the jumped up dog haters on the forum haven't suggested a Korean yet

Sadly, I suspect that you are probably not allowed to eat dog in the UK (no slaughterhouse licenced here to kill dogs for the table) - it is is a very rich and dense meat - a friend who travelled extensively in the Far East was advised by his dentist to stop eating dog in the summer, as the meat was causing his teeth to loosen (he had been and they were loose, so maybe his Chinese dentist was right). Despite rumours and stories, it is only special breeds of dogs that are generally eaten, not any old pooch (except I suppose in a famine). There is more to Korean cuisine than dog (and many of the cuisines we do favour, such as Chinese and Vietnamese, indigenously use protein ingredients we would baulk at).

I think TCC is pretty average. It's OK for a quick meal, and BYO makes it reasonable value, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there. I've not been for maybe 3-4 years, but last time I went, the food was totally generic. The same old deep-fried starters, and so-so curries which were slightly lacking in size and flavour.

Surely right if you mean 'hate the taste of dog' - why eat anything you hate the taste of - but many people can hate dogs (wandering about, fouling the pavements, biting people) without also hating them in a culinery sense. I wouldn't be too keen on heifers wandering loose about Dulwich, but I love a good steak.

And most people don't hate dogs, they just hate the people who keep dogs badly.

I hate cats, slaughtering the birds in my garden, leaving (last week) a little clutch of 4 fledglings, in a neat little pile, by my back door. Oh - well I wouldn't actually eat cat either. But I'd be very happy if someone started serving them up for those who would.

Penguin - mine can only manage flies ;-)

Clarey, I think you're absolutely spot on. We go to TCC regularly because it's a lovely little place run by nice people who serve decent food at a very good price. If we want top-end Thai we go somewhere else. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see an up-market Thai in the area but it also doesn't mean I want TCC to change!

The *only* gripe I have with TCC (other than the duck in their delicious red curry being a wee bit on the tough side at times) is that their take-away food costs the same as if you eat in.