Homeless people outside shops asking for money

Whilst I do have utmost sympathy for individuals who find themselves homeless, there is more than enough social and charitable support in this country to prevent you ending up in such a predicament and to help you should you fall through regardless. As such people that persist in remaining homeless should be have help enforced upon them. There is no reason why anyone should remain homeless in modern Britain.

Yet in this so called "modern Britain" there are children and old people dying of starvation, cold and neglect, explain that one.... I'm sure they have all in their own way tried to get help.

muffintop Wrote:

------------------------------------------------------->

> Yet in this so called "modern Britain" there are

> children and old people dying of starvation, cold

> and neglect, explain that one.... I'm sure they

> have all in their own way tried to get help.

Seeking help 'in-your-own-way' I'm afraid just doesn't cut it as an argument, its not acceptable to drive 'in-your-own-way', or do many other things 'in-your-own-way'; there are structures and norms that it is the individual responsibility to use them to as efficiently as possibly to advance themselves. Child and elderly person neglect aside I would have to ask why people fail to make use of the help that is available. If the appropriate channels are followed the help is there, social support is there. You will find that the charitable sector covers those few areas not covered by social services, often usurping the role that should be played by government.

On the point of homeless persons being moved 'from one area to another' and without sounding heartless: Logically would an average homeless person reach a point of critical mass when there are no further profitable areas to go to if they are moved on often and severely enough?

TillieTrotter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I also remember the guy outside the Lloyds Bank in

> Herne Hill, his name was Steve and he was quite

> erudite.

I remember giving him as the definition of the phrase 'a lazy beggar'.

There he was sat beside the ATM of a not very busy bank, can't have too much foot traffic during the day outside of the rush hour, and even then people wouldn't necessarily use it that much.

He was unfavourably compared to the far more industrious beggars I used to see in Clapham High Street and Brixton Road.

Maybe he had a greater sense of entitlement, perhaps?

A point I'd like to make here is that quite a few of these people aren't homeless at all. They're just professional beggars. I was chatting to one of them the other night outside the Stab & Crime, I'm sure you've seen him on Friday and Saturday nights scrounging for money on Lordship Lane by the EDT, Black Cherry and the Bishop. He's a black guy with a bit of a beard in his late 40s early 50s. I usually give him a couple of quid now and then as he's always very polite and bearing a smile as wide as Goose Green Roundabout but it turns out he lives on the Dog Kennel Hill Estate. Obviously, he's out of work but has turned to begging to help make ends meet.

When I used to work in Central London, some of the begging pitches there were also owned by dealers. Hence, the person begging could rent the picth for a period of time from the dealer. Beg up as much money as they could (often a fair whack in Covent Garden) the dealer would then come along, sell the beggar a snowball, then kick their heads in and take the rest of the money. Practice was called "taxing" dunno if is still goes on.

There was one woman. I used to know that would often get three or four hundred pound drops from tourists. She looked like a 10 yr old boy (and sex worked as one too).