Card cloning warning

Dont fall for the Banking industry lies - its their responsibility to sort this out - its not your money - their systems COULD be secure, but they chose to take the cheaper security options in order to maximise their credit card division profits - this is what happens when greed takes over sense

masters of their own problems - their huge profits were generated on the back of easy credit , like the billions of cards that they pumped out for decades and made money hand over fist.Obviously now they are a bit concerend, as they few % they built into their numbers for fraud write downs once seemed a small price to pay, it is now a serious issue as they scramble for liquidity and survival.

Dont blame the garage or its workers, thatsn not on

Well yes... the banks could use biometric devices or something, but they choose not to... but I'm sure that people would still find a way to crack the technology (although it would be harder to do).

But I don't see how they are more to blame than those who steal the money.

It's like having your car stolen, and blaming the car manufacturer for not making the car more secure.

penk Wrote:

> That would be moderately newsworthy, no?

>

> Funny how I can't find even a suggestion that that

> occurred, apart from on here.

I emailed customer support at Somerfield (as I said I would) and got nothing back. No surprise there. So I wrote to their Chief Exec saying that I understood that staff had been removed because of card cloning. Here's the response I received...

Blimey.

Maybe that will shut up all those apologists for Somerfield staff who insisted that not a single one of them could possibly have done any wrong, all the evidence to the contrary.

Sorry to be harsh.

• 1 year later...

Jeremy wrote on 25 February, 2009

-------------------------------------------------------

> for me the weight of circumstantial evidence against the petrol station over the

> last couple of years is too much to ignore.

Another conviction today, not the first, of people involved in petrol station card fraud. In this case they compromised the Pin Entry Devices to get card data, and then cloned cards for use principally in ATMs abroad. R4 You and Yours (in ?last ten minutes) reported on it, but it'll be in all the papers. Principal fraudster a 29 year old Sri Lankan software engineering graduate allegedly called Theogones De Montford.

It sounds all too easy to do, with the right expertise, in places where management is lax and possibly unsupervised access is easy.

There's a little pice of kit called a key logger. It looks a bit like an adapter for the end of a computer cable. What it does is store all the data transfered through it and can be attached to any card reader or computer in any shop, restaurant etc. That data on that logger contains all your card details and pin etc and then the criminal makes a cloned card with the same data on it and they are off and away. It's actually very easy to do. And encryting data doesn't make any difference as there is software that can decrypt data at high speed. Basically unless you trust the establishment swiping your card, pay in cash.

Sue Wrote:

> How did he get access to the machines? Did he get

> jobs at all the garages??

I looked at the article and it isn't clear. Assume he must have befriended managers.

cate Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > How did he get access to the machines? Did he

> get

> > jobs at all the garages??

>

>

> I looked at the article and it isn't clear.

> Assume he must have befriended managers.

xxxxxxx

That's quite worrying if there's so many managers who would go along with this :-S

Yes, said three co-conspirators were jailed. I was at the Co-op cashpoint in Forest Hill Rd. a while back (2 years I think) when the guy in front of me found equipment above the keypad. There was a little hole in the covering.