Dulwich film makers

The Dulwich Paradiso Film Society starts its new season on Tuesday 17 April at a new venue - Upstairs @ edt (east dulwich tavern).

Visit www.paradisofilm.co.uk to see what's on offer this season.

Before each film we're interested in screening short films by local amateur film makings (young and old!). Must be short - ie ten minutes or so, and on dvd.

If you're interested in showcasing your work in front of a local audience then email us via the website.

Neil

Great to hear that you are returning to Lordship Lane after all these years, and that a bit of culture is returning to upstairs at EDT, the original home of East Dulwich comedy. What's the story behind your move from The Castle, neiljohns?

Yes, Dulwich Paradiso is pleased to be back at Lordship Lane too! We heard about edt being free on a Tuesday night and got in there quickly! The manager of the venue has been really supportive, which is great.

We're definitely interested in ideas for special screenings of films - including An Inconvenient Truth. Just keep the requests coming!

We're thinking about maybe doing a late night film too - starting 11pm Sat night. Is that a good idea?

This is a real nostalgia moment for me. I worked at a Brighton indie cinema when I was at college (The Duke of Yorks) we had some great times and I saw so many movies.

The late Saturday night shows were fun, start at 11pm and show 2 films. Nothing too taxing, usually classic films of their genres that dont normally get shown on the big screen and some Golden Raspberries for even more fun. The Cheech and Chong films were popular, strangely sitting in that audience could make a chap feel quite light headed.

I met Dickie Attenborough when he made a discreet visit to see "Brighton Rock" during a Brighton Festival season, he called me "Lovey" - as he would.

A personal favourite are B&W films of the 30s and 40s. Basil Rathbone as Holmes; a favourite movie of that time is "A Canterbury Tale" - not the medieval classic, but a ww2 period movie set in the Kent coutryside - no warfare,just a morality play in the form of a whimsical tale.

Ah memories, time to put my false teeth in, meals on wheels is late ..