New Italian Restaurant Bellenden Rd

Grotty

Not in my mind...always will be peckham and I was proud to live here (before it was trendy)

Went to the montpelier last sat night...thought we were in chelsea (where do the frumpies go now I wonder) and having questioned a few trendies none of which were locals...some as far as kentish town!

Part of me is proud that its now popular

Bellenden Belle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Twenty pounds a head?

> Sounds very reasonable to me. What didn't you like

> out of interest?

>

> Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Dearest one was if I remember ?29.00. Bill for

> > four came to ?80.00.

> > Food was ok but dont think I would go back. I

> > wish them well though.

Yes good value and good food. It just didn't grab me. I dont wish to put anyone off. I tried it and it's not my cup of tea, so go along and try for your self before the prices go up.

Had dinner there with a friend tonight. It is a lovely room, great service. Menu changes all the time and comprises three starters, three pasta/risotto, three mains, three puddings. We had three starters, two mains, a pudding and three glasses of wine, bill came to ?60. This is not your usual pasta/pizza restaurant but great Italian cooking with a modern edge. Loved it.

I have recently noticed this horrible attitude towards my kids who are extremely well behaved when we're eating out. I feel the same about getting unfriendly vibes off people who are out without kids. The family-friendly vibe that has been here since we arrived 10 years ago seems to be fading ... a shame.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Peckham. Near where I live."

Really, why didn't you mention it? Oh, you did. Repeatedly.

Am I the only person who thinks there must be other areas of Peckham that are no-go areas for restaurants? Bellenden Road is hardly the edgy part of town. The best restaurant reviews are from the ones who are anonymous, in my very humble opinion.

numbers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Am I the only person who thinks there must be

> other areas of Peckham that are no-go areas for

> restaurants? Bellenden Road is hardly the edgy

> part of town

To be fair, he does go on to say that this part of Peckham is a pocket of relative affluence. Still, would be nice to read a review of a restaurant in Peckham which doesn't go over this same old ground again.

Anyway, went to Artusi last night, had grilled artichokes with bagna caulda and octopus with asparagus and wild garlic, followed by olive oil cake with loquats - all delicious and the chef I was eating with was similarly impressed. Three courses each, two glasses of wine and a glass of vermouth each, and the bill came to ?80 including service - which we added.

thank you peckhamrye that is exactly who I was referring to.

sj - I didn't word my post well, I meant food critics who are anonymous to FOH/chefs/kitchen staff are likely the ones who get the same experience as the rest of us hence their reviews being more meaningful. I didn't mean it to come across as anonymous trip advisor commentators being the ones to take heed of.

No offence meant to the great JR really (pretty shure you think I'm always on the lookout for having a pop at him) but I do wonder what restaurant in their right mind wouldn't get it bang on for him once they know who they are serving. Especially somewhere local like Peckham. Near where he lives.

"They have a middle-class butchers on Bellenden Road called Flock and Herd ? the sort where you "source" your ingredients instead of buying them. No more needs to be said."

This made me smile (as someone who wants to punch people that use the word "source" in this context).