Prague Holiday Help

david_carnell

I'm off to Prague on Monday for my Summer hols with hannah6_6 and wondered if anyone who has previously been has any recommendations out of the ordinary.

I went in my student days backpacking in 2002 (spent getting drunk on cheap pivo!) but hannah6_6 has never been so I expect we'll do some touristy stuff (Charles Bridge, Castle, Churches etc) and hopefully some off-the-beaten-track stuff. Any suggestions gratefully received.

The second week we're staying in Cesky Krumlov so if anyone's been there as well and has suggestions that would be great.

Thanks.

My main advice is never take a taxi. Foreigners apparently have the word 'mug' etched into our foreheads and they will try and rip you off.

Obviously the usual things are well known, Charles Bridge, the Castle, Jewish cemetery, Good King wassisname square, but my best memory was seeing a performance of Mozart's Requiem by the National Radio Philharmonic (or something) at the Rudolfinum Concert Hall, that was really something, so keep an eye out for events like that.

The old town is so condensed you won't need a taxi unless you're staying way out. An interesting walk is up to Stalin's Metronome on a hill overlooking the city. Interesting views but the area's largely used by skateboarders. If you've not been to the cemetery in the Jewish corner that's worth a visit and there's also a nice park on Petrin Hill with an observation tower which also offers good views. Avoid Wenceslas Sq unless you want high st shopping.

I took it from the Rail Station to the Hotel as I had luggage and an the old man with me (that's not a euphemism btw). They drove the 15 minutes to get to the hotel. On emerging the next day we turned right out the front door, down a narrow street and emerged at Wenceslas(sp) sq, right by the station, cheeky sods. We were later informed that that was pretty commonplace among the Prague taxi fraternity.

I go to Prague regularly & have a lot of sympathy with the people who live there under siege from tourists. Yes, taxis do have different fares for foreigners & I never take them despite speaking Czech fairly well. From the airport, take the 119 bus to Dejvicka where you can get onto the Metro which is a good system. You don't need taxis there as trams are good & frequent - just make sure you have a valid ticket. Letna plain is lovely to walk in - make sure you see the giant metronome that replaces Stalin's monument up there - & also Petrin woods - you can walk up to the 'Eiffel tower'. Vysehrad is lovely too & you can walk there along the river, or by tram if it's too much for the children.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately not only Prague has different prices for locals and foreigners. It's a problem of many big touristic places. But anyway, even with prices like for foreigners it's cheaper than some other European cities.

And Prague is wonderful, a city of magic and sights and charm. The old town is full of photo ops and buildings/streets to explore.

The new town past our apartment reminded me of Amsterdam. Travel by tram is fast and safe. Buy tickets from tabacco stores before you board a tram and validate tickets on the tram.

Prague needs good comfy footwear - lots of cobbles and steps. Plenty of nice bars and cafes to rest. The chaper drinks are found a few streets off main areas, beer is as low as 50p pint!

We ate out all the time everywhere - in hotel Prague, outside, finding lots of quality vegan places to eat, meals costing from ?2 to ?8 for 3 courses! (please PM me for info on veggie/vegan places to eat)

It was crowded in August, Charles Bridge being the busy area - visit in the evening or early morning for the views and no crowds. We had no problems with pickpockets.

We walked round the palace grounds, there was an hours que for tickets and a 2-3 hour wait for the palace and cathederal!!! we didn't que.

We also went on a boat trip from by Charles bridge, you will see the staff all in sailors costume selling tickets. A one hour trip was ?6, including cake and a drink and a great guide full of info on Prague/history.