FGM - topic back in today's news.

fl0wer

Belle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Agree the issue of FGM is absolutely

> clear.

Totally agree with this...

BUT

Petitions like this annoy me, because they don't actually make any useful suggestions. It's great that it might get parliment to look at the matter and I hope something comes of it, but you may as well start a petition saying "stop racism now" or "stop rape now".

Otta wrote

>Petitions like this annoy me, because they don't actually make any useful suggestions. It's great that it might get parliment to look at the matter and I hope something comes of it.<

Petitioners have been emailed, as follows, from the govt:

"As this e-petition has received more than 10,000 signatures, the government makes the following response:

[actually over 86,000 so far - if it reaches 100,000 there will be more happening, see final sentence below]

"We regard female Genital Mutilation as child abuse and it is illegal.

The Coalition Government is absolutely clear that political or cultural sensitivities must not get in the way of preventing, uncovering and prosecuting this terrible form of criminal activity.

This Government recognises that tackling violence against women and girls, including FGM, requires a sustained, robust and dynamic cross-Government approach. Every department needs to play its part in addressing FGM.

The Department of Health is working to improve the information collected by the NHS on FGM.

The Home Office has recently announced it will help fund a new study into the prevalence rates of FGM in England and Wales.

The Department for International Development has established an ambitious ?35m programme to address FGM in Africa and beyond, with an ambition toward ending FGM in one generation.

The Home Office is the lead on violence against women and girls (VAWG) and has captured FGM in our comprehensive VAWG Strategy, rather than in a stand-alone Action Plan. Recently updated, the Strategy (The Call to End Violence Against Women and Girls: Action Plan) has a renewed focus on protecting potential victims. Through the plan we are working closely across Government to help secure a FGM conviction, and with charities and frontline organisations to help improve awareness of FGM.

As part of a continued effort to raise awareness, the Home Office has:

Joined forces with the NSPCC and the Metropolitan Police Service to establish a dedicated FGM helpline, providing advice to anyone who is concerned about FGM:

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/inform/resourcesforprofessionals/minorityethnic/female-genital-mutilation_wda96841.html

Launched the Statement Opposing FGM, which sends out a strong message to anyone involved in this practice - it is illegal and has no place in our society. To date, we have sent out over 37,000 of these leaflets.

Continued to work closely with the Crown Prosecution Service to ensure the Government is doing everything it can to help secure a prosecution.

We are greatly encouraged by the Director of Public Prosecution?s assessment that it is only a matter of time before a perpetrator is brought to justice and the Minister for Crime Prevention will be discussing this matter with Alison Saunders shortly.

Female Genital Mutilation is a human rights abuse with devastating consequences for victims. We are determined to work together across Government to protect victims, prosecute perpetrators and stamp out this abhorrent practice for good. This e-petition remains open to signatures and will be considered for debate by the Backbench Business Committee should it pass the 100 000 signature threshold."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

According to today's column in the paper

"There are an estimated 66,000 victims of FGM in England and Wales, with more than 24,000 girls under 15 believed to be at risk every year."

This number brings home the scale of it. I was staggered when I read how many.

In France the practice has been eliminated by giving all at-risk girls regular health checks, and with high-profile prosecutions.

• 1 month later...