Mountain biking

malcomio

Malcomio and I used to go out into the Kent Countryside for a Sunday tear-up. If you are definitely up for it I'll invest in a proper set of maps and of course if you need to but a rack for your car then we'll split that also. This urban cycling is all very well but not nearly as pleasurable as the bracing air and unspoilt Vistas that you get in rural Kent. M.

Are you still able to go for the cycle scheme thingy? If your still contemplating leaving in a few months(or keeping options open)you can accelerate the rate of your repayments(6 months instead of 12)so that you'll feel less trapped in an unending agreement. I'm a lot fitter than I was(months of swimmimg a mile each morning coupled with a few city cycling jaunts every week)so will not be struggling to keep up any more.

• 2 weeks later...

i'd be interested if you've got a ride coming up.

I've got a rack that supposedly takes 3 bikes, but with my car it doesn't fit too well and ends up holding the bike too low down & cracking the wheels into speed bumps (grr!)

hoping to get a quiet ride in tomorrow around Box Hill, just getting the train down & then seeing what I can find really.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok as a sketch how does this sound,we meet up at E.croydon station one early morning,I live near Sydenham so makes sense but Forest hill may suit also , get train to Amberly/ Arundel and set off from there, the country side is beautiful down there ,do a few hours at a leisurely pace and aim to have a lunch in one of the lovely country pubs like the George & Dragon at Burpham possibly, make tracks again & gently and do a circuitous route over the Duke of Norfolk estate & via a tea room* which ends up back at the station, head home for early evening.

I am away until the last week in March so can make plans for after that

Do you have mountain bikes,this will determine what route we can take.

W**F

SOunds wonderful Woof -- I have a Ridgeback mountain bike -- Forest Hill would be easier for me, but happy to go with the flow about where to meet...could you PM me the details once it's finalised, just in case I forget to check in on this post. Thanks, TL

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally got round to replacing my stolen mountain bike, so I'll be keen to get out into the countryside soon.

How about this Friday (it's a bank holiday)? Alternatively any of the weekends in April should be good.

Hi Malcolm,

Would love to -- I can't do this Friday, but a group of us are riding along the Thames Path from Greenwich to Dartford on Sunday if you'd like to join us? Would like to do your plan too though another time; getting right out into the country would be fun (and nice to meet new people)

TL

Yes it's true -- we cycled past a few breweries -- one was emitting a lovely whisky smell, the other was rancid :(

But it was fun -- does the path go all the way to Dartford along the Thames? What's it like in the opposite direction?

Do let me know the plan for your next trip, will definitely come along :)

I can't remember how far east I went along the river - not that far beyond Thamesmead I think, so I don't know how far the path goes.

Westbound you can start at putney and go out past richmond, kingston, hampton court and keep going - all very nice and green. I keep meaning to go all the way out to windsor and then get the train back - I've heard that Windsor great park is very good for cycling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...