What Headphones does everyone have?

youandiaredominoes

I've just had to return my noise cancelling headphones after one of the leads became faulty. They were AKGs and I thought they were a brilliant pair of headphones. I had them for just under 2 years but managed to get my money back just before the warranty expired! Unfortunately, the model I had has been discontinued, so I'm looking for alternatives. What does everyone else use?

I tried some in RicherSounds yesterday and was impressed with the AKG k451 which is only ?50 but sounded a lot better than other expensive alternatives. The only issue with these are they are not noise cancelling and might not be suitable for flights or noisy trains. Does anyone have any recommendations for the ?50-150 bracket?

do they have to be noise cancelling, or are isolation a possibility?

Etymotic research headphones are terrific

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=Etymotic%20Research&index=electronics-uk&search-type=ss

I do own a pair of these that were a present.

They're certainly good but very pricey http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bose-QuietComfort-Acoustic-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B0054JJ0QW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1384436262&sr=1-1&keywords=bose+headphones

I recall the sony ones getting some good reviews and a lot more reasonable

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Wireless-Closed-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B004X5JBXU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1384436333&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+noise+cancelling+headphones+over+ear

I've a pair of AKGs myself as I'm never allowed to turn my hifi up any more, though you wouldn't really want to listen to these in public, they'd be as bad as a mobile phone!! http://uk.akg.com/akg-product-detail_uk/k-701.html

For personal listening I think it's more a case of what you like the sound of rather than what's 'best'. You can't return headphones bought online (for hygiene reasons, like jewellery and undercrackers) so if there's somewhere you can go and listen to a few pairs like RS then go for it.

I have a pair of Senny HD650 and Senny HD25 but neither of these would be any good for your purposes, I don't think.

As long as they're not some overpriced load of old shit with a 'Dr Dre' (etc etc) logo on side - these headphones are strictly for munters.

None anymore, the commute killed them after 8 months :(

It was a couple of years ago so probably discontinued but they were about ?120.

I miss them.

I replaced them with some shures that have thicker cables and more durable but aren't as comfortable and don't sound as good, probably because they're cheaper as I didn't want to be forking out a ton every 8 months!!

Yeah, what is it with those idiotic "Beats by Dr Dre" headphones? The other day I noticed a range of "Bob Marley" headphones in the airport, which I'm even more perplexed by.

I have a pair of AKG noise canelling headphones (K480?) which look almost identical to the K451 you mention. They sound OK-ish, but the noise cancelling is pretty pathetic, and you seem to pay a lot extra for that feature... I'd save ?70 and buy the cheaper ones.

Hi Jeremy

I tried some akg490 headphones yesterday and looked the part (charge using USB and fully foldable) but was immensely dissapointed when i tried the noise cancelling button, there was a horrible tinny crackle which ruined the whole experience.

I am swaying towards the akg k451s as mentioned but worried they won't do the job on flights or noisy trains. My previous pair handled it well and sometimes I used the NC button but not always.

isolation are far superior in terms of blocking out noise. There could have been a firefight going on with those etymotics and I wouldn't have been aware.

Alot of people don't like things stuffed so deeply in ones ears though and they can be uncomfortable on flights.

I also quite like that comforting pressure that NC headphones give you on an aeroplane, I sometimes wear them without any music on just for that.

I don't get any of the tinny crackling you mention, youandi... but the noise cancelling just doesn't seem to do very much. Very slight reduction in background noise on flights, but decidedly unremarkable. Not one of my better purchases.

You could get a pair of these. You'll look like you've just stepped out of a recording studio circa 1985 but they sound cracking and you won't hear anything or anyone else.

When listening to my ipod out and about (don't really use headphones indoors unless for guitar) I actually just like the phones that came with my Galaxy S3 Phone.

I know I should probably hang my head in shame at that, but for me they feel and sound great.

Problem with the AKGs is that there are no official replacement outlets. All that was wrong with my original AKGs was that a lead wasn't working. I would have been more than happy to receive a replacement but the only option was leads on eBay from China. Of course, I'd love a pair of Bose but don't think I can justify the price, but good to know you can buy spare parts. Are there any affordable Bose headphones? I also tried a pair of Bose AE2i but didn't think much of them...

Beyers are the cheapest to maintain on the whole - that's why the studios love 'em. All the bits on most of the classic sets are replaceable for very reasonable amounts.

Most of the other can manufacturers totally fleece you for replacement parts.

If you use an iphone for music then the Sennheiser MM30i's are a fantastic pair of reasonably priced (?36 on Amazon) in-ear headphones. You can answer or end calls etc, and the sound quality is atypical of Sennheiser - smooth and with a decent amount of base. I find mine incredibly comfortable and have been using them most days for nearly two years now, still going strong. Great value.