leaving freebies out for passersby

fl0wer

Dear friends and neighbours,

in this generous neighbourhood putting 2nd-hand gifts out for people to take is welcome freecycling.

But some freebies aren't working.

Winter's come and piles of books became mush at once, in the rain, dumped by a skip we all trudged past on Underhill Rd. Lovely vintage hardbacks and great reads, should have raised money via charity. What a waste. Sigh.

Nearly opposite, smart garments and gold shoes are collecting dirt spilling out of a paper bag on the street for more than 2 days; maybe someone is unaware of recycling banks nearby. Shoe bin only down on Forest Hill Rd (outside the Post Office) and one for usable clothing in the Dry Cleaner's there, too, if householder does not want to go all the way to a charity shop.

I like this idea and I've picked up a few good freebies (mostly books) in the past around Underhill, Melford and Wood Vale in the past but at this time of year with the horrible weather it is not a good idea. In the summer it's fine but if you're having a bit of a clear out in winter use the charity shops or recycling bins.

I think that's a great idea, mynamehere, but could the Council expect this custom to "take" in the UK?

In Germany totally unfurnished flats are usual, i.e. apartments are let with no furniture at all, just sink units and basic sockets for kitchen appliances, and often for 5 yrs at a time, so that tenants have to get all their own stuff.

When I saw the roominess and high standard of interior fittings & background decor, & the ecofriendly insulation, etc, for the sort of money wanted hereabouts for pokey 2 room conversions, I was impressed. The downside is, people still find it costly to buy all necessary furnishings, also when you vacate your flat you are expected to empty it completely even if that means hiring a man and van.