Crawthew Road closing for 18 months

We have just had an email response to the complaint we made to the council regarding the road closure order. In line with the above they have confirmed that the order allows for closure 3 times a day (10am, 12pm & 3pm), for 30 mins max per time.

What is more surprising is that the order was only issued after the council was made aware of the "illegal" road closures being undertaken by the developers and staggeringly the "materials, containers and skips" on the public carriageway and footways were previously unlicensed and also (in their words), "illegal". The response implies that these have now been licensed, but it seems they have been parking their skips, storage areas and the jumbo-sized toilet for almost 12 months without council approval to do so.

This whole thing just amazes me.

Anyway, they say expected completion date is June 2014, so I guess we only have to endure this for another 6 months......

I've just received the same email!

It says:

Thank you for your emails regarding your concerns in relation to the Temporary Traffic Regulation Order for the road closure on Crawthew Grove.

68A Crawthew Grove was permitted planning consent on 4th July 2013.

Southwark Council were made aware of illegal road closures by the developer. Upon inspection, the road was found to have been closed to facilitate deliveries to the development on numerous occasions. These road closures had not been permitted or authorised by Southwark Council.

In addition to the illegal closures and the unlicensed materials, containers and skips, the carriageway and footways were unsafe due to a build up of spoil from the development. There is also damage to the carriageway and damage to the footway. The developers have agreed to make good and resurface the public highway when the project is complete. As a result of our above findings Southwark Council arranged a meeting with the developers, Build4Me, to resolve these issues and to work out a way of minimising disruption and inconvenience being caused by the unplanned illegal road closures.

At the meeting it was agreed for the developer to devise a programmed delivery schedule to which the Temporary Traffic Regulation Order was drafted. The Temporary Traffic Regulation Order enables the Council to agree a structured timed delivery schedule, which gives the Council visibility of planned deliveries and control of when the road will be closed. It also details an approved diversion route for displaced traffic.

Crawthew Grove will only be closed for deliveries and collections. Southwark Council have agreed for a maximum of three closures per day at 10am / 12pm / 3pm, each closure being a maximum of 30 minutes, although on some days there may be less than 3 or no deliveries whatsoever.

The developers were also requested to put up an information board with their contact details and to also send a notification letter out to residents in the local area informing them on the progress of the project.

The footways on Crawthew Grove will remain open and the skips, containers and materials will be licensed by the Council. To ensure compliance with the above conditions, we have programmed daily site inspections for a Development Control Officer and we will continue to monitor the site.

The completion date for the development at 68A Crawthew Grove is June 2014.

ETA: I have now asked whether the developers were fined for the illegal road closures, and for making the footway and road unsafe.

Sue, very grateful indeed that you've copied us into this. Thank-you.

Seems my request for resurfacing has been recorded and agreed then James? As Sue rightly has asked, I'm also curious to learn what action is being taken over past illegal actions by the developer. I first posted a picture of a road closure in September (http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,336529,1179344#msg-1179344) but I believe others have witnessed previous occasions.

Surely Southwark's response to illegal behaviour isn't merely to issue a licence permitting it?!

Have received another email:

"The developers were warned and informed that prosecution could be an option if this were to happen again. Southwark Council didn't have enough evidence this time, however we will continue to monitor the site.

Please contact me directly if you have any issues with the developers at 68A Crawthew Grove in future."

Didn't have enough evidence?? How much evidence do they need???

Prosecution "could" be an option if this were to happen again????

Not much incentive for developers to keep within the law, is there?

:(

I was going to post the council person's details on here, but have had second thoughts as it's a public forum (although he didn't ask me to keep them confidential).

He said "Please contact me directly if you have any issues with the developers at 68A Crawthew Grove in future".

He is a "Development Control Officer" so I'm guessing he is probably not the person who made the decision not to prosecute, who would probably be a manager further up the chain. Somebody who wants a quiet life, I expect.

If anybody wants to contact the Development Control Officer re Crawthew Grove, please PM me and I will pass on his details. I have an email address and phone numbers.

I live on Crawthew. I can see that the road closures are an inconvenience. I think a prosecution would be an over reaction. Although not directly related, but for balance, the builders leant me a ladder & helped me get back into my house recently after I locked myself out.

• 1 month later...

I won't put my hand up for that one!

As this thread has re-appeared, just to add that all the builders stuff that was cluttering the road has now all gone and there is no sign of anyone on the site a few weeks now. They were pumping water out of the site for a few days and I wonder whether it has all been put on hold as the site cannot be worked on due to the wet?

SteveUK1978 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> As this thread has re-appeared, just to add that

> all the builders stuff that was cluttering the

> road has now all gone and there is no sign of

> anyone on the site a few weeks now.

xxxxxx

Even the luxury portaloo complex has disappeared :))