What's around Dunstan's Road?

JCato

Moved from the hustle and bustle of the city to Dunstans Road (Peckham Rye end) last July and love it! We are a young couple, my husband works in a bar on lordship lane which is only a 20 min walk. Peckham Rye not far for nightlife, cinema & clubs. Nice French cafe on forest hill road for amazing breakfasts. Lots of pubs within walking distance, The Herne, The Rose, The Great Exhibition, The Clockhouse. We pay cheaper as we are not in the heart of ED but as we are saving to buy out own place it suits us. There are great bus links from Forest Hill road and the gardens. And Peckham Rye & Honor Oak stations not far. Good luck with your move

I also live near there and I wouldn't worry about it being dead - we're also a young couple with no kids and it only takes me about 10 mins to walk to Lordship Lane, which is about the same as it was to walk to most things when we loved in East London...

To get to the station I hopped on the 63 or 363 and travel via Peckham - it has an infinitely more useful range of destinations. Honor Oak station is an arse to get to as you have to walk up that massive hill and it's in zone 3 (the horror)

When we were looking for a flat we did see one near Bellenden Rd that we liked (this was 2 years ago) but the one we eventually bought just felt 'right'

woodland Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you want to live somewhere that constantly

> feels like full on London then Dunstans road might

> not be for you.

>

> If you want to live a ten minute walk from a road

> with some shops to potter around in, cafes,

> restaurants, some pubs to get drunk in at the

> weekend, near some green space and on some great

> night bus routes then it might just be. I was in

> my late twenties when I first moved to this area

> and haven't had too much trouble finding fun when

> I've wanted to. Plus I get to live in a quiet flat

> in a 'nice' area....

Because I can't resist posting twice! Basically this... I still find Lordship Lane a bit dull and prefer Peckham, but we go out all over London but after living in a mansion block in Bethnal Green, surrounded by dodgy estates and kids hanging out on our doorstep, and the council taking away the communal bins. Living on a 'nice' street felt amazing.

• 3 weeks later...
We have been living in dunstans road for 9 years. We used to live 3 minutes from a tube station but no outside space and much smaller place. There are several stations nearby peckham rye honor oak road east dulwich forest hill north dulwich. Overground from peckham is good. Bus service is very good 63 663 12 13 176 197 good french cafe turkish shoop and other corner shops nearby. Lordship lane is very accessible but after a while you will realise that it is overrated. Dulwich park is up the hill and the common across the road,one tree hill up the road. Very good pubs and restaurants in peckham and at honor oak park. Good luck

If a ten to fifteen minute walk is the new definition of remote then we're all living in the sticks.

This from woodland seems to be a sensible post -

If you want to live a ten minute walk from a road with some shops to potter around in, cafes, restaurants, some pubs to get drunk in at the weekend, near some green space and on some great night bus routes then it might just be. I was in my late twenties when I first moved to this area and haven't had too much trouble finding fun when I've wanted to. Plus I get to live in a quiet flat in a 'nice' area....

We live near Dunstan's. Our house is a lot cheaper than the East London prices we paid previously I think because it's not so easy for transport (ie three minutes from 5th floor flat to getting on a tube). However we had no issue with it as we cycle most places and have found buses and overground surprisingly quick. I work in Central and OH works east and it takes us 35 minutes to get to work. Admittedly we're more cycling and dinner type people than out all night clubbing but we don't have kids and love it here so far. If you are party people Peckham is the place to be I'm told so you've got the right area! Number 12 bus route is a short walk away and takes you direct to Oxford circus via picadilly and it's 24 hours, or London bridge has numerous ways of getting home late if you are meeting friends in town.

There's a lot more 'going on' here IMO than there was in East or North London when I lived there but it's difficult to know what one person wants as entertainment compared to someone else. Hope that helps and Merry Christmas.