Maxted Road death trap

Mrs TP

When I noticed lots of wet leaves piling up before, in this case in a cycle lane, I just called Southwark council and they cleared them the same day as they can be a hazard. I don't think they can be checking all the pavements all the time so I'm sure would appreciate a call to let them know. I can't remember which department, but I think I just asked the switchboard operator and they directed me.

For StraferJack - I think I am just getting all a bit Victor Meldrew with the stress of Christmas and a v. poorly mother in law. The leaves are relatively innocent but I was at a tipping point and posted to try and cheer myself up as thought it a good bog standard forum post that would get the usual array of random responses - some helpful, some unsupportive and some bizarre.

Seriously though the leaves are ankle deep, soggy and v slippy.

Will call council - ta.

Council Directive:-

1. Dispatch team with leaf blowing machine to clear pavement by blowing leaves into the gutters.

2. Dispatch traffic wardens to give out tickets to motorists parked on yellow lines hidden by leaves.

3. Dispatch team with road sweeping vehicle to clear leaves.

4. Dispatch team with drain cleaning vehicle to unblock drains clogged by leaves.

Council Stats.. 4 Tasks. All targets met. 100%

Pay Council Directors Big fat bonus..

DulwichFox

unlurked Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I know, lets chop all the trees down and then

> we'll be saved from this "death trap". I really

> don't know how previous generations coped, god

> bless 'em.

They took all the trees

And put them in a tree museum

And they charged all the people

A dollar and a half to see 'em

Don't it always seem to go

That you don't know what you've got

Till it's gone

They paved paradise

And they put up a parking lot

Big Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell

Foxy

unlurked Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I know, lets chop all the trees down and then

> we'll be saved from this "death trap". I really

> don't know how previous generations coped, god

> bless 'em.

I think the way previous generations coped (and our generation until very recently) was with more frequent sweeping.

I saw a street cleaner picking their way down a path that was covered with wet slippery leaves and picking out the tiny bits of rubbish within it. I did wonder what the point was - but perhaps they were going to tackle the leaves separately and add to garden refuse for composting? I can see how they could be a nasty trip hazard to someone less steady on their feet - I almost slipped over myself.

"That the cleansing of the footways and watercourses, by the occupiers of houses, should be more rigidly enforced, particularly after a fall of snow, and that a notice, in the form submitted, should be issued annually to each householder, about the 1st day of November, directing attention to the necessity of attending to this work."

-- from "a list of the Resolutions of an active character, which have been passed by the Vestry since March 1873",quoted in the Annual Report of the Vestry of the Parish of Saint George, Hanover Square, for the year ended 25th March, 1879.