Reinstating a fireplace

number 2

Hi, has anyone done this? If so, what sort of issues and costs are we looking at? We have an Edwardian house that some muppet put a strange sort of 1940's fireplace in and we'd like to replace it with a more original style. The set up we have looks as though it did work as a fire at some point so I think the space is there. If anyone knows of a firm that does it all the better!

Thanks

we took our 1950's fire place out of our dining room and discovered the original space for the kitchen range behind it. Our builder inserted a new lintel to support the opening at this greater height and we got the sweeps in to check the chimney. We had a woodburner inserted in the space- the installer had to clear a bit of rubble that was stuck inside the chimney breast and remove one of those hat things off the top of the chimney on the outside which had been fitted for a gas fire.

So maybe first port of call is a sweep like Pearse and sons.

the 1940's fireplace might have been put in in the 1940's! People have always wanted the latest gadgets and styles, even then! I think our 1950's one had been the third to be installed in that particular place.

Matt at Casa in Bellenden Road is a fireplace expert and installer too.

Yes, we did this with our victorian semi on upland road. We unblocked the original and put a lovely edwardian metal one in. It cost about ?1500 all in but was worth it. We used Bob who was at the junction emporium just off LL. I think he's gone now though. Casa on bellenden road does all this stuff too.

• 1 year later...

Bob is currently restoring a warehouse in the Hastings area

He's not doing the fireplace instalation I don't think at the moment

But Lou from Bruno's wine shop knows him well, pop in and ask her for clarification

Matt at CASA is there to chat to

I am hoping to put a Victorian fireplace in my flat.

Would anybody be able to recommend somewhere relatively local to get an original Victorian fireplace from? Does Casa have original fireplaces as well as new ones? Any other recommendations would be much appreciated.

I did this about a year ago. Bought the fireplace on the forum and used Blue Mantle on the Old Kent Rd to knock out the hole in the blocked up chimney and fit the Victorian fireplace. They have lots of original fireplaces for sale there too.