Station safety

Juness

I sadly have to leave East Dulwich due to crazy rents. I've been looking at Nunhead which is more affordable, but I'm unsure about safety at the station. What are your thoughts? I went to view a property at 2pm on Saturday and walked past the station to check it out and I was nearly mugged (boy on bike with hood up came from behind and blocked me in - I think he thought I was on the phone - realised I wasn't and went off) . Not a good first impression. Was I unlucky or is this a problem in the area?

Any thoughts appreciated - especially from a woman's point of view coming home late at night.

unlurked Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You've answerd you're own question. Go with your

> gut. The area is rough esp' that part as

> surrounded by estates where escape is easy etc.

> Don't wait for the "it was a one off/I've lived

> here for years" posters.

Completely agree. I don't know it that well but what a first impression and a sign.

The bits around Ladywell/Crofton Park/Hither Green stations is cheaper and less rough - unless you're at the Catford and Lewisham ends. Crystal Palace seems a popular one these days too.

I live in Nunhead and to be fair, that bit around the station isn't particularly nice at night time. Were you looking at a place near the station or just worried about getting a train from there? I can't imagine, for instance, that general crime is any better in the surrounding areas but if the concern is purely about using the train station then I would go with your gut feeling.

I live on Kimberley Avenue, very close to the station, 2min walk. I've lived there for 8 years and touch wood, never been mugged, broken into etc, etc. I may have said the area was rough 8 years ago but no, not now. I use the station everyday, morning and evening, I am female and agree that in the dark the station doesn't look like like the nicest, a bit quiet but I guess I don't have to walk that far to my house.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that I feel the safest i've ever probably felt. The area has become a lot more affluent over the years and like ED this could lead to more opportunist muggings, who knows.

Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions about the area.

I'm a 27 year old woman and have lived about 5 mins walk from Nunhead station for the last 3 years. Luckily (and *touch wood*) I haven't had any problems whilst living here and haven't noticed any cyclists doing this sort of thing. I agree that the area immediately around the station is not particularly appealing, but I have caught the train from there pretty much every day, regularly coming back at 11ish (or later) by myself and have never felt any less comfortable than I do walking around ED or anywhere else in the area.

I think the others are right that you have to go with your instincts - you are the one who'll be anxious about getting home late etc. if you are not completely comfortable with the area, so only you can make a judgement if it's an area you'd be happy with. I'd suggest that you get a train to Nunhead late at night and walk to where your new house might be, or the roads you are keen on, so you get a true feel for what it's like at night (although obviously tell a friend what you are doing!).

Like v_the_gelfling, very happy for you to PM me if you have any other queries