Antenatal and NCT Classes

JManiam2

Hello,

I am currently 4 months pregnant and wondered if anyone could suggest any good antenatal or NCT classes/groups in the East Dulwich area. I am keen to learn as it our 1st baby and also to meet other mums in the area.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Jen x

Hiya, here is a thread to the new ED NCT team: http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,1262966

I don't know them personally as we did NCT 3years ago but it was totally worth it, for learning and, more importantly, for the friends we made: we are still good friends with the other couples and just had a joint birthday party as our little ones turned 3yrs....

Hi Jen

Congratulations on your pregnancy, I hope you're feeling well.

I am a local mum-to-one and run Hypnobirthing classes from my home in ED. My courses run over either 4 weekday evenings or 2 full Sundays. There are 3 couples on each course so not only is it a great way to learn some tools for a calm and comfortable birth, but a nice way to meet some other local expectant parents too. If you search for Hypnobirthing on this forum you'll be able to find lots of feedback from couples who've attended my course, or feel free to PM me if you'd like to know more.

I'd also really recommend NCT classes, I did a course with Tessa in ED when I was expecting my son and learnt lots from her, as well as meeting some LOVELY mums who I've grown so close to. Our children have known each other since birth and have formed lovely bonds. Definitely invaluable for me, especially as we'd just moved to the area prior to our son being born.

Hope that helps,

Hollie x

hi Jen

as said above.. congratulations!

NCT classes are totally brilliant, as is going pregnancy yoga, hypnobirthing, etc.. but the one thing that makes the most difference according to the research on how positive a woman's birth experience is is... the midwife caring for her.

Most first time mums - and many second time ones too - sadly don't know much about their choices outwith the NHS for maternity care.

You've got various different options for maternity care in the UK, one of which is of course the NHS. I work for a really great organisation called Neighbourhood Midwives, and there are also lots of independent midwives around London too.

We really can make a massive difference in your pregnancy, birth and postnatal care, so please have a think about your choices

wishing you and your lovely bump all the very best

Julie

we went to Becky Byrne's NCT classes in Nunhead which were excellent, she covered everything, natural and assisted. It was very thorough and non-airy fairy.

I also went to Lindy Lou's yoga classes above Healthmatters, don't know if they are on any more, but again very good without being overly woo. Helped no end when I got to the pushing stage!

In terms of meeting people.... I made really good friends through NCT and also the EDF bumps club. So I would definitely recommend them but you only know afterwards whether it was worth it, depending on the friends you make!

In terms of birth prep... I did find NCT helpful. Apparently the NHS ones are quite good too, we didn't manage to get onto that one.

If I had my time again I wish I had done hypnobirthing first time around, I'm doing it for my second (due imminently) and it's really helped.

But basically the more you can do to meet people in the area the better. Having a couple of good friends in the same boat as me made all the difference to my maternity leave!

And congratulations on your pregnancy x

NCT run 2 types of Antenatal courses:

'Signature' and 'Essentials' courses

Have a look on the main nct website for more details: www.nct.org.uk

They also run Refresher courses for people having their second or subsequent babies and Postnatal courses as well as Introducing Solids workshops for when the babies are around 4-5 months old

Waterbirth workshops are also available.

Loads of different ways to meet new people and become connected to people especially if you are new to the area.

All the best

• 2 months later...

Hi Natalie

I've tried emailing the coordinator email address a couple of times but I haven't heard anything - is the address ok?

We're moving to East Dulwich and due to have our first baby in September and we would really love to do NCT in East Dulwich to meet people. But there don't seem to be any weekday evening classes - is that right? Unfortunately we can't make the Christchurch classes which are whole days ones, with one whole weekday, because of work. I'd love your advice on this.

Thank you very much

Ali you could try looking at Ariadna Sole's courses. She is a midwife who runs independant antenatal classes. We really enjoyed our classes and are still very good friends with our classmates (the kids are now 16 months). www.ariadnasole.com If you search her name on here lots of good testamonials will come up.

And definitely go to the EDF summer babies meet ups - our Winter Babies 2012/13 group is still going strong!

There are spaces on my evening NCT Essentials antenatal course which starts on July 23rd in SE5.

7.15-9.15pm for 5 weeks and then a reunion at a later date.

Try looking on the NCT course finder: www.nct.org.uk

All the best and don't forget to book on to the Postnatal course as well!