sinus op

pepperkinski

Hi I had quite a major sinus operation a few years back, they widened the cavities above and below on both sides. I stayed in hospital overnight (although think this was only because I had the general anaesthetic), it was bit sore afterwards but nothing major, no bruising just a bloody nose for a couple of days - had to sleep upright for a couple of nights. The wadding up the nose was probably the worst - but even that wasn't too bad.

Operations are scary, but honestly you'll be fine and the difference it'll make to you on a daily basis will be huge - I suffered horrible sinus pain for ages before having it done - nothing since!

Good luck and speedy recovery x

Easy for me to say having never had a general but as they say above, and as all my friends and family have experienced, they tend to know what they're doing.

And to put it another way they don't do generals willy nilly as, amongst other thing, they ain't cheap so I'm guessing the benefit will be fantastic. Let us know how you get on.

Don't worry about general anaesthesia you'll be absolutely fine as long as they weigh you before - which they will of course. You might wake up feeling a bit of nausea and won't be able/shouldn't drive (but sounds like you'll stay over night anyway). Good luck with the op.

• 3 months later...

I had an operation at the Royal National Ear, Nose and Throat hospital in Kings Cross in 2007, that involved widening of a cavity to improve airflow - and it has made an improvement. I think if it's big hospital that kind of thing is like changing a tyre on a car so it all works like clockwork the whole set-up of anaesthetists, nurses and surgeons.

My only advice would be, confirm with your Consultant that it will be they that performs the surgery - rather than them delegating the delicate work to a junior.