Street Art Vandalised

Zak

Yes, as the photo shows, he can do it on brick. That one is in a sorry state now, the top part eaten by snails sliding down from the bushes above I think. They like the taste of the glue! I will ask him to renew that one too.

Why is it that East Dulwich gets all the so-called street art rather than Dulwich Village... is it because some (though not all) of the street art is hideous and all street art attracts other unwanted graffiti. If this scheme is run by the Dulwich Picture Gallery which is in Dulwich Village why don't they put some of the street art near the Picture Gallery itself and give the good people of Dulwich Village the dubious pleasure of such travesties as that Girl in a Window near East Dulwich Station.

If anyone is interested, Im leading a street art/fine art walk tomorrow from 1pm, meeting opposite East Dulwich Station under the Girl at a Window, Vale End. It goes up Lordship Lane, down Court Lane, through my house for a loo and drink stop, through Dulwich Park and into Dulwich Picture Gallery to see the originals that inspired the walls. Finishes at about 4/4.30. Just turn up. Its ?15 which includes entrance to Dulwich Picture Gallery, drinks etc. http://dulwichonview.org.uk/2013/08/06/dulwich-street-art-walks-reviewed/

Jennys Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why is it that East Dulwich gets all the so-called

> street art rather than Dulwich Village... is it

> because some (though not all) of the street art is

> hideous and all street art attracts other unwanted

> graffiti. If this scheme is run by the Dulwich

> Picture Gallery which is in Dulwich Village why

> don't they put some of the street art near the

> Picture Gallery itself and give the good people of

> Dulwich Village the dubious pleasure of such

> travesties as that Girl in a Window near East

> Dulwich Station.

The good people of Dulwich Village seem to have more respect for their own property and surrounding area.

They choose not to turn that area into an urban ghetto. I doubt very much it would be tolerated.

I'm sure many residents of Dul-Vill. (See what I did there) love the little 4x4 trip to down town ED.

to see all the lovely 'Works of Art' painted on the ends of terraced houses. (How novel) Whilst they

do a bit of browsing on North Cross Rd.

No offence to Residents of Dulwich Village intended. I really wished ED residents could show the same

respect for our local area.

Sorry. I'm going to lie down in a dark room.

Foxy :)

I don't know if there is "conclusive evidence" that street art attracts other graffiti but I know someone scribbled over the Stik picture (Adam and Eve I think) on a garage door in Beauval Road and also that the house on Lordship Lane, near the Heber Road junction, which is decorated with lots of street art, also had numerous tags and scribbles liberally added to it.

• 1 month later...

That mural was tagged at the weekend. Ingrid arranged for it to be painted over. This happened, but I think it needs another coat or two of paint.

Incidentally, Southwark removes tagging on private property free of charge, for businesses as well as residential properties. Just ring 7525 2000, report it and they'll ask you to sign a form and then it'll be covered over.

I have tried to clean off graffiti using a variety of substances, with no success. I now paint over the tag with the colour which it is on. The Phlegm background colour is Magnolia, in case anyone has any spare and can get there before me.

Have only just seen the responses to yesterdays email but noticed this morning that the tag had been painted over. I've always wondered whether or not there was a plan to try and keep the street art clean so its really good that you're keeping an eye on it Ingrid, thanks for taking the trouble.

I unfortunately disagree with this street art. It is imposing itself on us due to a perceived artistic licence which is very inconsistent with planning permissions and local regulation. If I wanted to paint a graffiti on my house I would have to apply to the estate or council and most likely would be told no. However some guy is able to paint a picture of a stick man, or those awful robots that are on Court lane and this is acceptable just because the owner/council/estate perceives this to be of value? The stick men are rubbish (in my opinion) and I can do a lot better so why not just let everyone add whatever artwork they want to the front of their house? Having said that there are a few which I really like (especially the boxers on EDT roundabout) but why should a matter of taste be imposed on everyone? Unfortunately I think it is stemming from a lot of local residents feeling that they have a degree of artistic taste and wanting to demonstrate this to the neighbourhood when in reality it is just a bunch of likeminded people blowing smoke up each other?s bottoms.

• 2 months later...

Devonlass15 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's so awful when this happens! Now it's just a

> boring old wall again :(

Good news! Someone, not Pablo Delgado (he is in Mexico) has made similar paste-ups and stuck them back on where the originals were painted over! They have missed out the picture at the top of the composition but have replaced the three pieces that cast shadows on the pavement. They are a bit smaller than the originals but are still Princess Victoria x2 and a weird copper bowl. see attached photo. Fantastic! Thank you whoever you are!

IngridB,

The "art house" as was, near to the Heber Road bus stop on LL, has been tagged quite badly. Who can be contacted to be asked to remove it, do you know? I always thought seven or so 7' x 3' panels, all bright white, was way too much for the rat fink taggers to resist...

Dulwich village won't have street art because the Dulwich estate wouldn't allow it despite proximity of the picture gallery. I would love it if the creepy fly, bee thing which is almost opposite our house near the plough was in the village instead because I see it every day & I really dislike It! It's all subjective of course but for a space that big I would rather look at something more inspiring, bright, interesting than a creepy bee fly thing drinking tea...