Two Threads & Cooking

Marmora Man

Things that can go wrong with steak:

The steak itself - a good piece? or a watery, slightly too red to be true thing ain a blue plastic tray?

Pan not hot enough

Too much salt seasoning before frying

err.. that's really about it apart from cooking time. As keef says you can pretty it up after that but basics should be do-able

Things that can go wrong with steak:

The steak itself - a good piece? or a watery, slightly too red to be true thing ain a blue plastic tray?

Pan not hot enough

Too much salt seasoning before frying

You forgot 'cook pissed' - could this be the issue here?

@ Ant - yes, I do a monthly mass cook-up too, for the freezer.

I make up some bulk-lots of some dishes, such as Lasagne, Curries, Potato Bake, Quiches, Pasties etc. (and always lots of Chilli and Bolognese sauce which can be adapted and used to make a few other dishes) and freeze a lot for days when I haven't got time or just cannot be bothered to make a meal.

It's great and I have an excuse to get away from the kids for a few hours (and them from me LOL)

Just me, in my kitchen with a bevvy (or 3) and some great music or something interesting, like a Drama, Documentary etc. on the TV to look at in between.

Heaven! (and a good couple of weeks worth of meals, done, at least, ready for reheating or cooking through)

Saves money AND time

:))

The pan should be really hot. I trashed steaks in the past because I thought you had to cook them and they dried out into nasty tongue-sticky things.

Get the pan so hot you think it's going to go off in flames, and then BOOM, chuck the booger in. Give it 120 secs each side max. Get a marbled (thin lines of fat throughout) steak. Don't worry if it's going blue/grey.

As Jah says, if you want to do a sauce then do it away from the steak. The steaks will cook afterwards whether they're in the oven or not. The sauce will need a lot lower temperatures, a creamy jobbie should be less than 40 degrees. Try putting red/white wine and mustard in and following up with ten seconds of double cream. Low low temp. For best results wear it.

Good steak.... hot pan - cook one side for about 2 mins - then flip it over and add a huge knob of good quality butter. As the butter melts, use a spoon and pout it over the steak. After 2 mins, take out the steak to rest and then with the butter and yuymmy steak juices in the pan you have the basis of any sauce you want to make. Even reducing the butter a little with some pepper and salt is amazing.

I'd buy my steaks from Mr. Sparkes who comes to Northcross Road on Friday an Saturday. He can practically tell you the name of the cow your steak came from. He also hangs his meat properly. I highly recommend his lamb as well.