my son escaped from OAK TREE nursery (Tell Grove, SE22) on wed 7th may

my son also is in that nursery. I couldn't imagine that if he is not in nursery, when i pick up him. I was so shocking when i heard about this. But i already found big change in this nursery since accident happened. My son is only there for 2 months, he really loves there and made lots of friends. he wants go to nursery even on weekend. I can feel carers in there truly take care of him. every evening, when i pick up him, he insists to say goodbye to everyone he loves before leave nursery. I can feel his happiness.

I am very sorry this accident happened, but i think we should give them a chance to improve. If this nursery forced to close, people will lose job, I don't want to see that happen either.

I think the owner of this nursery should spend more money to make the entrance more safe.

I've found, for comparison, an instance where Ofsted looked into a complaint made in 2012 about a nursery that raised concerns about security. They made an unannounced visit.

"We found that children were not fully safeguarded because the security system in place was not effectively implemented."

"Following our investigation, we issued a notice to improve that asks the provider to

safeguard and promote children's welfare to ensure the effective use of

security systems and intercoms(Safeguarding and promoting children's welfare)

"We will monitor the provider to ensure they meet these actions. The provider

remains registered with Ofsted." http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/provider/files/2136755/urn/EY445340.pdf

Two months later they made another inspection and gave it an Outstanding rating.

Seven months later, following up on concerns, they made another inspection and gave it an Inadequate rating. The objects of their criticism included behaviour management, systems, management, leadership and understanding. It was also the case that there was a relatively new manager. As a consequence of the rating they will inspect again within 12 months of the date of that inspection. The registered person was also required to "ensure that children's behaviour is managed in a suitable manner." There don't appear to have been any other actions thought necessary.

I have just been informed that Oak Tree Nursery has been closed with immediate effect. I have a daughter who has attended this nursery for the last year and we're obviously both very disappointed by this decision, she has been tremendously happy in this nursery and have made some great friends and I have nothing but positive things to say about the place and the staff.

I think this is the wrong, wrong, wrong decision. We haven't has a call yet NG but I suppose will be getting one.

I hope it's temporary so that they can make required changes and reopen.

I am incredibly sad for my son who loves his nursery.

our daughter also attends this nursery...while i would agree with some of the comments since change of management at christmas, she has always been very happy there and the staff are very caring. notwithstanding that, sweetgirl obviously has my total sympathies and i would be livid if this had happened to my child and clearly the nursery needed to take some immediate action which they did with the attention of temporary locks until a more permanent solution could be put in place.

ofsted did a spot check yesterday and then said today that since the issues they found yesterday had not been resolved by today (obviously not as requires building work) then the nursery is suspended. nothing has changed in terms of security since their report rating the nursery as 'good' so doesn't really make any sense apart from maybe they are responding to the whip up of emotions from this thread and ITV news.

however, i'm sure it'll make all the people on this thread, without children at this nursery and therefore not about to struggle to find replacement childcare for potentially weeks on end, very happy that Ofsted have put their foot down and not even given time for the management to fix the problems.

P.S. parents, the owner and manager were there when i went in half an hour ago and drafting an email to all parents to go out this evening. I also asked them to attach the Ofsted email that they have received so we can all be clear what their problems are.

I was so disappointed to hear this news. I shared everyone's shock and concern when it was first made clear what had happened, and I am so glad that the little one in question was OK.

But I hoped we could move forward and it would get sorted after all the necessary investigations. As some posters have said there are some GREAT staff there and I'm very upset for them and for my son, that this has happened so suddenly. I am not sure how I am going to explain this to my son who is nearly 4 - he is off to school in September so there was not long left but he has made some good friendships there, and I feel saddened that those friendships will be impacted by this. I am in the fortunate position that I'm not working currently but some fellow parents are going to have a real childcare crisis to deal with, which in this area is going to be really challenging.

I an not sure if OFSTED would have shut them down regardless, or if the media attention was the final straw - if so, then it is a shame that the media became involved.

Convex, I rang the nursery and spoke to the manager, she said an e-mail will be sent out this evening informing parents. It's obviously been a very difficult day for staff, they were told yesterday by Ofsted they had a week to put into action all the remedial points discussed over the last few days, however today, less than 24h later on, Oftsed came back in and closed it down. The decision will be appealed, hopefully supported by as many parents as possible.

Ok sweetgirl, my daughter also goes there (oh well, not anymore thanks to you, this forum and itv). Now that you had the time to find another nursery to your son, please help all the other working parents who have the weekend only to make arrangements. So unfair with some of the staff as well as they are great and your little boy who could not see a door open that we would run away, wherever, whenever.

Many many many thanks.

This is little short of a catastrophe. There will be a sudden flood of kids (including my daughter) all looking for a new nursery, which will result in lots of kids simply not finding a place for months. This appears to be a textbook lose-lose situation.

If OFSTED's decision was at all influenced by the media attention then they should be ashamed of themselves for not even attempting to make an objective decision based on evidence rather than emotion. I maintain hope that OFSTED are better than that. I suppose we'll learn more when the email is sent later tonight.

I, for one, will certainly help the nursery with any appeal.

> i'm sure it'll make all the people on this thread, without

> children at this nursery and therefore not about to struggle

> to find replacement childcare for potentially weeks on end,

> very happy that Ofsted have put their foot down and not even

> given time for the management to fix the problems.

I have no children, full stop, and I don't fit this characterisation.

I too hope it's a precautionary temporary measure. If that's the case, perhaps the proprietors might even benefit from help or advice from a few of you.

I'm really sorry to hear about this. My little girl went to Oak Tree and we absolutely loved it - and the staff.

What a terrible shame for the lovely people who work there and all the working parents who rely on the nursery and who'll now be in a desperate situation.

Think its grossly unfair to blame sweetgirl miss Helen! Its just lucky the story didnt have a worse outcome for sweetgirl's son - which it easily could have done! If it was my son found wondering the street when I thought he was safely in nursery id be extremely upset and absolutely livid with the nursery staff responsible. How would you have reacted if it was your child? appreciate its a nightmare for people with children there who now have no nursery place and for the staff that work there, but if children arent safe then surely thays more important. If i had a child there id be worried about what other lax measures are in operation if a child is allowed to escape unnoticed!

@ miss helen maybe you needed to suffer what i am going through, & probably will go thru each time i leave my son somewhere! just be thankful it wasn't your daughter!

for your information i have had to take time off work for at least 2 weeks.... this is because of the nursery's fundamental breach of contract! during this time i have been ringing round for nursery's & i can assure you it hasn't been an easy task....

Funny you should say that...

I am messaging the parents I know and who have posted here, but please pm me if you are interested in supporting efforts to work with Oak Tree in improving/rectifying/keeping them open.

Thank you

(Edited because I did the quote wrong)

>

> I too hope it's a precautionary temporary measure.

> If that's the case, perhaps the proprietors might

> even benefit from help or advice from a few of

> you.

This is an awful situation for all concerned - the staff, parents and children who attend Oak Tree. However it is unacceptable to blame sweetgirl for what is happening now. A child was in immediate danger as a result of the nursery's actions and posts like that from misshelen do not help anyone.

I hope a way forward can be found and my sympathies to all those affected - it must be hugely stressful.

I wrote earlier to support the nursery and ask for dialogue. To be honest, I would say that misshelen was right. It is not sweetgirl fault, but her view was never taking into account how other parents feel and deal with the situation and we were not given a chance to support her. And all of this was blown out of proportion when media was involved. The Forum raised the issue with the community, but then it became a witch hunt against the nursery! Also that report dismisses all the other parents, and focuses on one case (as most of the ITV reporting, completely one sided). A really good nursery is now shut down and many parents are left stranded, including sweetgirl. Well I would say a bit of dialogue and patience would resolved this differently. I must say many people on this forum are making a spectacle out of this, while we should seriously question how a dialogue and improvement is created. It's sickening!

It must be hard for all the other parents to find childcare but hopefully after reading about it (was in the Evening Standard tonight) their employers might be sympathetic and give parents some extra time off etc?

I don't understand Miss Helen's sentence 'So unfair with some of the staff as well as they are great and your little boy who could not see a door open that we would run away, wherever, whenever'.

The fact that nobody noticed a just turned 2 year old going out the door in the first place and then not noticing him missing for x amount of time and him ending up in the street for how long?

Exactly gardenfun. A lot of random people not saving us from their opinion even if they have nothing do do with the nursery. Oh Gosh, give us a break please. As if the affected parents were not under enough stress already.

I do question de necessity of going to the TV. What's the point? As we know, that was the reason for ofsted to change their mind and not give the nursery time to arrange and fix things.

Not mentioning that my daughter has been going there full time for a whole year and the first time I saw this lady was tonight on itv, she didn't go there to pick him up and get a daily feedback or to check his behaviour. Instead sent his brother (also a kid) to pick him up, every time...

A storm in a teacup more likely, but that's just my opinion. Enough said.

yes, that's true. I never saw his parents to pick up him. I am so surprise he can do that without parents. his brother looks like 10 years old something, maybe not right. I talk to some friends, the nursery their kids go also happen similar accident before in north london and east london ,one of them is outstanding.but things did not goes this way.I don't say the accident is normal, it shouldn't happen.

the child escaping from the nursery is nothing to do with who drops off and picks up. let's leave the personal attacks on parents' circumstances as the situation is bad enough for sweet girl and all other oak tree interested parties.

there are a number of things that need to be addressed in order to the the nursery back up and running for the sake of everyone and perhaps people on the forum could help so this becomes a positive thread.

Convex, perhaps you could post your list? we think probably first port of call is a quickly available builder

I don't understand what people are saying? How can you make a dig at the mother that is irrelevant, if this child (thank the Lord he wasn't) hit by a car or anything or it was your child how would you react? Let's be greatful no harm has come of any child and this will hopefully make nursery's become more safe. Stop making personal digs it is none of your business and irrelevant to the issue.

I just wanted to send some information regarding a great babysitting/nanny service that I have often used. All of the babysitters are ofsted registered with first aid training and many can be reached on very short notice (although you do have to register in person with the agency). Here is the link to their website. http://www.likeminders.co.uk

Good Luck!