New Charter School on Dulwich Hospital Site

It seems the Charter School practices as regards equality are being questioned again, first there was the criticism from the adjudicator regarding the change to the admissions policy detailed here: http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/feb/01/academy-school-catchment-council-estates and now an FOI request about equality that they have not responded to within the deadline: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/treatment_of_ethnic_students. Shocking that they have all this support to open another 'exclusive' school.

eleg1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It seems the Charter School practices as regards

> equality are being questioned again, first there

> was the criticism from the adjudicator regarding

> the change to the admissions policy detailed here:

> http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/feb/01/a

> cademy-school-catchment-council-estates and now an

> FOI request about equality that they have not

> responded to within the deadline:

> https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/treatment_o

> f_ethnic_students. Shocking that they have all

> this support to open another 'exclusive' school.

The Guardian report you link to ends by saying that a fifth of the school's pupils are on free school meals (vs national average of 16%) and that over half of the kids are from ethnic minorities (vs national average of 22%).

The school has changed to as the crow flies, away from safest walking distance. (Funnily enough, this too has drawn criticism - seems you can't please all the people all the time) and the new school bid is proposing as the crow flies, possibly with banding, possibly from a nodal point, possibly both.

None of this indicates either that Charter is an exclusive school, or that there are any plans for the new school to be in any way exclusive.

I personally support the Haberdashers bid, their admissions policy as they state as open to community consultation. Charter have shown that they won't listen to parents until they are forced to. In addition it can't hurt to have a healthy mix of providers of education which will surely help drive each other's improvement.

Bonaome quoting national statistics will invariably cause skewered results when comparing to a London school in an area of mixed affluence. If Charter do succeed let's have a look at the intake in 5 years.

eleg1 - you haven't said why you think the Charter bid is exclusive (and Haberdashers not presumably since you are supporting it). Especially since both are still consulting with the community about what admissions policy to use? Also, not sure I understand your point about the statistics. Perhaps you could explain that further?

Sorry but I find it over the top to say that Charter support is "shocking" - and you imply that anyone supporting Charter "wants" an exclusive school. I support it, and certainly do not want an exclusive school.

Soulking Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> eleg1 - you haven't said why you think the Charter

> bid is exclusive (and Haberdashers not presumably

> since you are supporting it). Especially since

> both are still consulting with the community about

> what admissions policy to use? Also, not sure I

> understand your point about the statistics.

> Perhaps you could explain that further?

> Sorry but I find it over the top to say that

> Charter support is "shocking" - and you imply that

> anyone supporting Charter "wants" an exclusive

> school. I support it, and certainly do not want an

> exclusive school.

Through the attempted changes to admissions policy and the way certain types of parents are treated with contempt by the school informs my view that they would wish to be exclusive. Evidence of this cannot be discussed on here but it is from parents and previous members of staff.

The statistics show that in comparison with national statistics Charter is a very inclusive school however nationally ethnic minorities make up approx. 7% of the total population the possible % is much higher within Charter school catchment area. From what I know about Haberdashers is that regardless of the intake students achieve very well, all students get opportunities not just the select 'gifted & talented'. In my opinion as a local parent I would support that ethos more.

Interesting that people assume HA selection more equitable than Charter's distance criteria. Current league tables show Ha Hatcham has 10% more high attainers and 10% fewer low attainers than Charter approx. so fair banding not necessarily so esp if you factor in effects of music scholarships.

The difference is quite striking.

Miacis-- are you talking about their attainment levels when they were admitted to the school or once the started sitting GCSEs / A-levels?

Obviously, looking at attainment levels once the school has started educating the children wouldn't indicate anything about the admission policy but rather would reflect how well the school is educating its pupils.

Do you have any links?

Hi. It's all in the league table info here http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/schools/performance/school.pl?urn=135073

You can see the diff percentages of high, middle, and low attainers for the cohort for each school. This measure is what that cohort was evaluated at in year 6 ie at the start of secondary. HA clearly had a much cleverer quotes intake even with fair banding for the same school year than charter.

• 2 months later...

Hopping over here after posting on the Habs thread.

I live in the Existing Charter catchment and received a leaflet today about the new school proposal. I'm not personally affected (although i do have a Year 5 child so I guess could "vote"): is there an obvious reason why Charter are pursuing this as a bid for a new school rather than an expansion to the existing school? Has the LA already determined that there is a requirement for a new school? Does the funding for the purchase of the site / set up cost come from a different funding "pot"?

Intuitively an expansion / facility sharing would seem much more efficient, especially if the catchment areas of the two schools look to be similar?

The cynic in me thinks that from the point of view of parents within the existing Charter catchment, this looks like a very good opportunity to get some additional space / facilities, rather than an attempt to provide school places for those currently in catchment "black holes". It could of course be both :). I assume that parents with children currently at Charter / in catchment are not being encouraged to vote for the new school, as that would skew the info being provided to the LA, but the fact that I was leafleted suggests otherwise?

(Not trying to be offensive, just struggling to understand the rationale for two separate but practically adjacent Charter schools....)

Suspect it is simply practical. There is no space to expand the existing school. Having split sites is v v tricky. Perhaps ok at sixth form when more free time but really challenging when younger. I can see sense logistically for two. Time tabling is bad enough without having to factor in traveling between two sites.

• 5 months later...
Great to hear this school has been approved. Is there any update on the admissions policy or any way in which we can communicate our thoughts about it to the school board? I am particularly keen that the catchment should cover a wide area of ED to include the current black spot around and behind Peckham Rye park. I would be disappointed if it overlaps significantly with current Charter catchment as that seems to miss the point of a new school.