Fish and chips in ED

dibden

Pugwash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Emily's in North X Rd - Ahmad has a small caf?

> area at the back for those who want to eat in

xxxxxxx

The guy in Emily's is absolutely lovely, but I'm afraid his chips are soggy and awful :(

Maybe Emily's guy needs a lesson in 'twice cooking' his chips and selecting the correct potato variety? There's definitely a gap in the local crispy chip market. TBH when it comes to fish and chips nobody really gives a stuff about the fish. It's all about the chips.

A little bit out of ED but well worth the trip. Oceans Fish Bar at 1 Westmoreland Road, just of Walworth Road and a door or two away from Arment's Pie and Mash. Run by two young Cypriot boys who used to work for that other excellent place in Archway Nth London

By far the lightest thinest crispest batter anywhere, super fresh fish and good chips too. Mind I only eat about 1/2 a dozen along with a good helping of mushy pease. They cook Haddock to order but Cod is always on the go

It's very clean and fresh too, I make the drive from Sydenham to eat there

That place on Camberwell Church street is rank, maybe it's the miserable face and grubbiness that does it. Never again......NEVER

I lived down South for many years before moving to London and one thing you could buy in every chip shop was pea fritters. Being vegetarian, I ate these on a regular basis instead of fish. Most people had them as an accompaniment to their fish & chips.

When I moved here I asked for them in a local chippy & they didn't know what I was talking about.

'Mushy peas?' they asked. 'No' I said 'pea fritters which are mushy peas deep fried in batter'

I was told by one shop that I'd be lucky to find them anywhere in London. So if anyone knows of the nearest place I could get some, I'd be very grateful. They are so nice!

On the outskirts of ED. The Allanwater Cafe, Bridge of Allan, Stirling!. Superb if you are ever passing. Black pudding supper is a thing of rare beauty. Man I could kill for one of them right now...

Are there no Scottish chippies in London? Would be a regualr for me if there was. A completly different beast to the chippies down here.

simonethebeaver Wrote:

> Aquarius, Olleys do pea fritters.

>

>

OMG. Just looked at their menu & looks like you are right.

I've never even been there before, just walk past most days & had a brief look at their main courses, but never noticed their sides.

They have loads of good reviews and are always busy.

Thank-you for letting me know.

Help-Ma-Boab Wrote:

> On the outskirts of ED. The Allanwater Cafe,

> Bridge of Allan, Stirling!. Superb if you are ever

> passing. Black pudding supper is a thing of rare

> beauty. Man I could kill for one of them right

> now...

>

> Are there no Scottish chippies in London? Would be

> a regualr for me if there was. A completly

> different beast to the chippies down here.

Future business idea for you Help Ma? Just say and we can sort it....