Buses not accepting cash

TB2

Message from Tfl - pretty much every other European country has operated largely cashless systems for years, and the world has not ended. Only 1% of fares were paid cash. Stop moaning and get on the bus.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Although the most vulnerable (children, the old)

> travel for free, in the past drivers have been

> unhelpful in allowing passengers who are obviously

> qualified (clearly children or pensioners) to

> travel without an oyster, when it has been

> mislaid/ lost or stolen. Now they won't take cash,

> I hope they are being trained to be more sensitive

> about allowing those to travel who would be

> expected not to be paying anyway. (Obviously,

> there are people who look possibly too old

> (children) or too young (pensioners) for the

> driver to be certain, but in many cases it just

> seems to be bloody-minded/ jobsworth-ness to put

> them off the bus). In the old days kind travellers

> would pay sometimes for the stranded, but this is

> more complex where you have to use your own cards

> to do this, and can't just find a coin.

Was thinking this on a bus journey half an hour ago. Couldn't agree more!

Bus cash fare is ?2.40. As said above, if someone vulnerable gets on a bus and can't pay, the driver should let them on.

If not I'm sure someone on the bus will help - I have three contactless payment cards and an oystercard and would be willing to pay.

the-e-dealer Wrote:

> So an 11 year old boy stuck at a bus stop miles

> from home is passengers misfortune. Great get a

> job in a caring profession bng.

Driver's discretion, as it was before if the child didn't have sufficient cash. Apologies for being an uncaring hard-hearted b*stard.

I wouldn't worry about children so much. If they are in school uniform I've never seen them refused. A few charter kids got on the bus with me today, they didn't even touch in and the driver didn't blink. I see this happen daily, even before cashless.

ETA: The other day I got on the bus for the school run, I'd picked up the wrong oyster. No credit. Red light. Daughter ran to the seat at the back, I went to get her to get off and driver shut the door and drove away. I felt like a fraud but no-one else seemed to mind. Courtesy of my daughter I now have a smurf sticker on my oyster so I know which one holds my weekly travel card.

The Luddites where also against the centralisation of weaving whereby peasants kicked off the enclosed common land had been forced into working for a pittance in the huge mills and the independent weavers who worked from their homes got punishing taxes that the mill owners were exempt from.

It was a political clash and fight for survival against powerful mill owners, not just a technological issue.

Back in my day, when you didn't have any money left, or you'd lost it and didn't have any immediate access to some, you'd either have to hope a nice bus driver would let you on, or sneak on, ask a passer-by or fellow passenger to sort your fare, or call your parents or a friend, or walk home.

These days it's totally different. If you've lost your oyster card, or it's run out of money and you don't have immediate access to top it up, you either have to hope a nice bus driver will let you on, or sneak on, or ask a passer-by or fellow passenger to sort your fare, or call your parents or a friend, or walk home.

As an aside, I am totally against the centralisation of weaving.

No need to check. You can already pay on buses with Oyster - or with contactless debit or credit cards. The rest of the TFL network will be the same soon.

Indeed you can accidentally pay with all your cards at the same time for one fare - if they're all next to each other in the same wallet.

the-e-dealer Wrote:

> Quite Funny , but wrong a passer by or fellow

> passenger is committing an offence if they use

> their oyster to pay someone else's fare.

Only if it's a season ticket, PAYG is transferrable

Yes, you can transfer / lend your PAYG Oyster - but I don't think you can use it to pay twice at the same entry point (regardless of whether its an offence) because of the way it works (working-out where you've been, how many journeys and knowing when you've reached the cap for all journeys in one day in which case it stops charging the card).

Contactless just debits your card with a single fare but doesn't keep track like Oyster does. That was my understanding anyway.