East Dulwich to the O2 arena

Possibly SMG, possibly, but it all relates to the macro debate - 'the best way from ED top O2'.

SimonM's argument is accurate but also illogical, Captain.

It's unlikely that there will be a stop at the petrol staion on this return trip, does this mean that the trip is free? I reckon few would argue this.

We demonstrate the imagination to recognise on a small scale the amortisation of costs (the time between refilling the tank for example), we just lack the imagination to extend this to a more accurate 1 or 5 year timescale.

Regarding the Council Tax expense, it's immaterial to the debate on the O2 journey because it's payable regardless of your transport choice (car, bus, train, boat or tube). However, despite the 12 month timescale: depreciation, road tax, insurance and maintenance on private cars are all requirements in isolation for that transport choice.

;-)

38 years old, married, driving license since 17, reasonable income yuppie... and never owned a car. In my early years cars seemed like a victory of status over economics, now they seem a victory of convenience over sense.

Happy on train, tube and taxis, uncomfortable but persistent on buses, morally reprehensible regarding international flights.

I never was an adult, see :(

Me.. licence and car at 17 (and 1 month) - essential for wooing girls when you're living in the heart of rural Dorset. I then moved to central London where a car was pointless (girls aplenty and public transport at a frequency greater than 1 bus per hour, followed by a 1h journey to civilisation). Then I moved to ED 5 years ago and got a little runabout - cheaper than renting cars regularly at weekends, even with fuel, depreciation (a ?1 car has little depreciation!), maintenance, tax etc. The runabout turned out too expensive to warrant fixing up for a failed MOT, so I scrapped it and traded up for a something a little less practical, let's say. One can get a lot of car for their money at the moment!

The most practical, cheap and efficient way of getting around has to be the scooter though. It's not for everyone and clearly not the safest option, but I'd trade every other option in to keep the scooter. I agree a push bike is the greener option, but the lack of road presence and fact that a shower is required at both legs of a reasonable length journey somewhat puts me off. Can't wait to hit those bus lanes in Jan! ;)

If there were four of you in the car going to the O2, it would cost a quarter of what you quoted. If there were four of you on public transport, it would cost four times what you quoted. Public transport can't really "win" if there are multiple people wanting to get aound.