One for the Boxing fans!

Keef

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ETA: Martin may have won the title from Glazkov in

> a fight for the vacant belt, actually.

Glazkov withdrew with a knee injury in the third. IMO winner of this should be ordered to fight Glazkov (of course I know it doesn't necessarily work like that).

Chudinov out boxed Sturm all night last night and for his efforts he list his world belt and got his first '0'.

When they announced the first judge as marking it a draw the writing was on the wall, but then to announce the remaining two judges favouring Sturm...

Shocking corruption.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very sad to hear Nick Blackwell is in an induced coma after suffering a bleed on the brain following last nights brutal fight with Eubank Jnr. I hope he makes a recovery but fear he'll not box again.

Ref should have called it off MUCH earlier.

Agree with you. Blackwell was taking a battering, especially the uppercuts. Strangely, his eyes looked clear for most of the fight though. Ref should have stopped.

dbboy Wrote:

> Very sad to hear Nick Blackwell is in an induced

> coma after suffering a bleed on the brain

> following last nights brutal fight with Eubank

> Jnr. I hope he makes a recovery but fear he'll not

> box again.

>

> Ref should have called it off MUCH earlier.

I think it's a difficult call - as mentioned already, Blackwell was walking forward throwing punches and pressing the action while keeping his guard well up ('protect yourself at all times'), not the sign of a battered and beaten fighter. For the ref to stop the fight (even though Eubank Snr was demanding to the ref that the fight be stopped) would have seemed premature to most watching probably including the judges.

I expected the fight to be stopped a round earlier or even two rounds earlier in the eighth, but I can understand the ref letting it roll until the left eye had swollen.

This is one of the unfortunate situations where the ref probably wanted to stop the fight but needed a reason to do so that would not be criticised by everyone involved, including Blackwell himself.

If anyone is looking to lay blame at all, perhaps Blackwell's corner ie. Gary Lockett could have done more to protect their fighter (from himself) because that's their key role. What makes fighters is they come to fight, but their team are responsible for holding them back when it's gone too far.

Everyone was saying before the contest what a warrior Blackwell is and how his engine is so good and he never goes backwards. During the contest all commentators were saying repeatedly how Blackwell was very much still in the fight.

What should be stopped is having a fighter's camp / supporters join him in the ring before the contest starts and taunting / provoking the opponent, thereby upping the ante. There's no need for it, it causes bad feeling and it definitely influenced Eubank's behaviour in the ring with his 'told you so' posturing to Saunders and Fury.

• 2 weeks later...

KidKruger Wrote:

> Joshua gets smacked-up.

I kind of hope so. I'm not sure why, but I've started disliking him quite a bit. Just think it's ridiculous that he has a world title shot after 16 fights.

In other news, Fury Vs Wlad rematch set for July in Manchester. Will be interesting to see Wlad fight outside of Germany.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/35995004

It's quite a hard fight to call... they are clearly both strong prospects, but have fought nobody decent (except for Glazkov, but that doesn't count). We don't know what either of them are really made of.

Part of me also wants Joshua to lose... not because I dislike him, but because the hype is absurd. It almost reminds me of someone like Audley Harrison or David Price, hyped up for knocking over nobodies. I think Josh is better - much better - than those guys... but he has a long way to go.

Yep David Price has been the name springing to my mind. Bit puncher who flattened a load of journeymen, then got found out the moment he fought someone with any experience.

Upon reflection, I shouldn't have said I dislike Joshua, but I thought he lacked class after beating Whyte. I know the other bloke had been mouthing off, but that's normal. After the fight he could have given him some more respect. I don't like that sort of thing.

~I go the other way. Most boxers are ridiculously disrespectful all the way through. Joshua seemed to keep his counsel before the fight, beat him and then said he didn't like him. I can respect that.

I think he wins, and wins early. I'm going round 3. Martin is slow, and flat footed. I don't think there is a bigger puncher in the game than Joshua at the minute and he seems to be living the life a pro boxer should.

Keen to see how Connor Benn goes as well!

jacks09 Wrote:

> ~I go the other way. Most boxers are ridiculously

> disrespectful all the way through. Joshua seemed

> to keep his counsel before the fight, beat him and

> then said he didn't like him. I can respect that.

>

>

> I think he wins, and wins early. I'm going round

> 3. Martin is slow, and flat footed. I don't think

> there is a bigger puncher in the game than Joshua

> at the minute and he seems to be living the life a

> pro boxer should.

>

> Keen to see how Connor Benn goes as well!

Well said and defend yourself at all times