Eubank v someone

in next few days:

Geale v cotto

Selby v Gradovich

Joshua v Johnson

Khan v Algieri

Nicholas Walters v someone

Vasquez v someone

Mitchell Smith is on again soon, also Buglioni, Fury, Wilder, Klitchko to come.

Top year so far.

Great wins for selby, brook and Joshua.

Khan didn't impress in his points win but if he still wants mayweather, if anything, a slightly imperfect performance might be more likely to land it than looking like a potential defeat.

Selby looks v naturally gifted. A bout against lomachenko could be epic.

Brook is now a real contender at welterweight and will struggle to find people keen to take him on.

Joshua didn't look amazing but did what no one else has done in ko'ing Johnson inc wlad, fury and chisora. The boy can certainly hit hard and he looks a million dollars. Now needs a real rest but he can't be far away from challenging some of the gatekeepers of the division and then a belt (at least the one wlad doesn't have).

Mitchell was great against Linares, had him down in the 5th, great composure. But the champ's seen it all before and is hard as nails.

Being beaten by Linares is nowt to be ashamed of and IMO this contest proved for me Mitchell is definitely world-level, whereas previously I'd not believed it to be the case.

Ha ha !!!

No, not at all sure (now).

I was watching BoxNation and got all excited when they announced a whole card with Fury and Eubank on.

About 30mins in, my mate pointed out that we'd already seen the show in Feb.

I did get a d?j? vu feeling - then he broke the bubble.

Good spot.

Past bouts really shouldn't feature in a list of forthcoming events !

• 3 weeks later...
Apparently GGG and his guys are totally up for the Froch fight. But Froch (having previously said that this is one of the few fights which he'd be interested in) is now undecided, so Golovkin is looking at other opponents instead (Lara?). Doubt Froch will fight again.

I think there's too much focus on career defining fights, Froch has fought everyone at his weight and done extremely well. Even if he'd beaten Ward I wouldn't call that career defining - Ward for all his skill is a boring dirty fighter.

Beating GGG might be regarded as impressive by some, about as impressive as GGG dragging-up Lara from LMW and beating him.

The multi-belts make all these inter-weight fights more plausible, but I don't like it. Look at Canelo amusing the system, Cotto is a joke 'middleweight', whole thing stinks, including Froch v GGG.

Aaaaah, feel better for that rant...

I don't think a super middleweight fighting a middleweight stinks. The problem is that we have too many divisions, so sometimes a bit of hopping around is inevitable. (agree that no belts should be contested at catch-weights though, i.e. Cotto)

Broner v Porter this weekend.

Any predicitions ?

My guess is Broner gets stopped. I think Broner's a better boxer but Porter gets through with a couple of those looping shots and Broner can't keep him off and is too small, a lightweight recently.

Even this contest is already having weight 'politics'.

One to watch this weekend is Hassan N'Dam v David Lemieux in Montreal.

Both are extremely talented, Lemieux having had the better exposure recently.

I'd say war on this one.

The contest is for the vacant IBF MW belt, stripped from Jermaine Taylor after his gun-related arrest and charges that followed.

Whoever wins, I'm almost certain will challenge GGG to unify at MW, these guys have balls in spades and can trade all night. I'd say Lemieux v GGG would be 50/50.

• 3 weeks later...

Irelands 5 greatest boxers

"Despite its small population Ireland has produced many successful boxers. In this article we take a look at the top 5 best Irish boxers in history!

Eamonn Loughran makes it on our list of top 5 best Irish boxers in history. In 1987 he represented Ireland and was awarded silver in the World Junior Boxing Championships. The same year Loughran turned a professional boxer and began his winning streak. After defeating Lorenzo Smith he became the WBO World Welterweight Champion and defended his title an impressive 5 times."

edited to add: He also fought MickMac from the EDF when aged 9 in a fight which didn't last long. Possibly Eamon's greatest victory

• 1 month later...