One for the Boxing fans!

Keef

Tyson, in his day, pound for pound the best boxer in his generation, he "destroyed" anyone put in front of him, then it all went wrong, when the money grabers wanted too much, yet he still has to be admired.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
So, Khan gets his first title shot tonight. I know very little about his opponent to be honest, but I find myself wanting Khan to get knocked out. Not very patriotic of me I know, but as with the tennis, it's more about the individual than where he's from.

Interesting night of boxing.

It was a good victory by Khan... to be fair, Kotelnik is not one of the top guys around that weight and the fight always looked winnable... but he was a legit champion nonetheless. People have been talking about a Khan/Hatton fight for a while, and while Khan is starting to look like the sharper, quicker, and more skillful of the two, I still think Hatton would overwhelm him. (meanwhile, did anyone notice that Breidis Prescott - the guy who KOd Khan in one round - just got beaten?)

A good show from Nathan Cleverly over at the York Hall, who looks set for big things.

Easy victory for Tyson Fury, but his opponent was just another tomato can. Will be interesting to see what he can do against John McDermott in a couple of months.

Bad, bad night for Enzo Maccarinelli, who looks finished - but looking back at it, you could question whether he was ever really world class. Also a bad show from Thaxton tonight, another career which looks all but over.

• 1 month later...

Would love to watch the fight tonight... but no Sky... oh well.

While we're on the subject... I was really excited about the Super Six tournament, but it's looking like it's not even going to get shown on UK TV. Froch is a legitimate world champ, he's earned the right to have his fights televised in his home country!!

Thats all that Primo Carnera (alias the Ambling Alp) had but he made it to world champion.

Myke Tyson was the only heavyweight champion (at 5'10") that I remember being under six feet, but if you have knock out drops in both hands, and have enough reach to find the chin, then its possible.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like it is definitely off.

This whole thing stinks, and as far as I'm concerned, Pac-Man comes out of it looking bad. I have seen or heard no good reason why he'd have any problems giving blood tests. "it weakens him"... What a load of Bollix!

Now his promoter is calling Mayweather a coward. As far as I can see, it is pac-man who has stopped this fight.

It's not as simple as that. Mayweather is asking for testing over and above the usual requirements. Manny should not be obliged to comply with these demands.

Although it does sound a little strange that a boxer claims to be so sensitive to giving a little blood... how much blood has he lost in the ring over the years?

I agree that Mayweather should have no right to demand anything. Fine, argue over money and stuff, but things like this should just be stated in the rules, and that should be enough.

However, you do sort of think, why not just go along with it then do your talking in the ring. Pac-Man will always have a tiny bit of a question mark over his head now. And as you say, how much blood can they need to take for these tests?!?

I'm just gutted, and really hope this is all a bit of a publicity stunt (wouldn't surprise me at all, as I really really want this fight to happen!

If it does, I'll be supporting Mayweather, simply because I've always liked the panto villan characters, like Eubank used to be.

There's no question mark over his head. There is drug testing in boxing as in all other sports and he hasn't been found to be taking drugs of any kind. Perhaps it's just a point of principle for Pacquiao? I mean why should Mayweather call the shots? As far as I'm concerned he should be biting the hand off Pacquiao to let him fight him. After all Pacaquaio is THE man at the moment.

Mike Tyson was a very good technical boxer, yes he had the power but his footwork and lateral movement in the ring was astounding, he was extremely fast on his feet. His punches obviously ended the fights but it was the entire package that got him to that point... in/out, counter etc.

The notion of Tyson caused fear in many a boxer meaning several of his fights he'd probably already won before he even stepped in the ring.

People say Buster Douglas was a lucky puncher to beat Tyson but he actually boxed impeccably and himself is (was) a very talented athlete, he set Tyson up and KTFO him.

Fights I look forward to this year are Kevin Mitchell against whoever he faces - he did brilliantly against Breidis Prescott, and Jamie Arthur who's taking on the KO merchant Martin Lindsay.

Also will be good to see Edwin Valero get in with someone of high reputation and see how good he is, they say he's just a heavy handed fighter (he can bang) but I believe his defence is underrated - his footwork in and out is immense.

Also be good to see who Poonsawat Kratindaenggym fights next, he flattened Bernard Dunne in 3 and was gifted the decision from Ricardo Cordoba who IMO outboxed him all night long.

Gonna be a good year...