Heygate Scandal - Call for an investigation

Earl Aelfheah

I'm not against CPO's or estate regeneration. I even think the option to remain on the estate in a higher value property with the shared equity / zero rent concept is decent. The main problem for me is the valuations used. I have to agree that on the face of it, they seem extremely low. I mean how much does a 3 bed flat at Dog Kennel Hill estates costs these day?

The project began under the previous Libdem Council so it's not just Labour councillors who are poor on this. Lambeth council are going much further and ignoring tenant/ leaseholder consultation altogether. The government has promised increased tenant/ leaseholder powers on the process and decisions made and I think the governments ruling on this is the start of that process. It's one thing to regenerate an area or estate, it's another when you lock out sitting tenants and leaseholders from the plans and benefits of that regeneration.

What Southwark are being accused of is much more serious than that. They are essentially stealing people's money. If they pay you 150k when its worth 300k that is actual robbery.

I'm not saying I don't care about people getting to remain in the regenerated community etc just that if the accusations in the article are true, its very damning.

I'm not against regeneration where it makes sense. But anyone that has wormed to buybtheir home (and some of these people wont be the original Right to buy owners that cashes in) they have an absokute right to be given the value of an equivalent property in that area.

A 2 bed flat in a block is currently pushing 300k in Penge, so offering these people in a much more exoensive area less than 150 is taking the absolute piss.

Rosetta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes, andI don't see how Peter Johns can be both a

> councillor and leader of the council.

He's behaved disgracefully and I hope Southwark get properly knocked back in court, but I can't see how the leader of the council could not be a councillor?