over egging the drama at EDD

scrummyyummymummy

Honestly, haven't you lot got better things to think about? I have always found the EDD a fantastic foodie shop. I have been shopping there since it opened and have never encountered grumpy, rude, snobbish or particularly short staff and the manager is bloody good at knowing his job. It may be small and cramped at seasonal times of the year (where isn't?) but the quality is excellent and it would be daft to take my buggy in at these times-it is just not practical, and there are planty of other shops where it isn't practical to take in a buggy or small children, or wheelchairs etc! It is no great hardship to go in on my own and have a browse, it is in fact better that way!

The prices are higher than general for a reason and they are fair, it's very good quality stuff. It is not as if I do the whole of my weekly shop there, although the manager always tempts me to spend a little more than I intended! I am sure the time spent on researching the produce they sell and possibly visiting their source reflects in the prices and expertise.

As for knocking over the display, I would have automatically offered to pay towards the damage myself rather than quibble over whose fault it was...and I would have looked where I was going in the first place - I suspect that the customer rushed in at closing time to panic buy, then blamed someone else for her clumsiness.

If you want lots of space, cheaper prices, and boring display etc go to Tescos!

scrummyyummymummy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> If you want lots of space, cheaper prices, and

> boring display etc go to Tescos!

Or if you want better cheese, go to The Cheese Block. They are not exactly grinning from ear to ear in there either :-S, but at least they don't take that Tesco 'pile em high' mode of display to Babylonian heights of excess, and the cheese selection is better and better kept in my view.

Louisiana

*snuggling up with a brand new bar of Valrhona Caraibe, frankly unimpressed by the godawful sweet stuff that serves as an excuse for chocolate at Easter*

scrummyyummymummy Wrote:

> Honestly, haven't you lot got better things to

> think about? I have always found the EDD a

> fantastic foodie shop. I have been shopping there

> since it opened and have never encountered grumpy,

> rude, snobbish or particularly short staff and the

> manager is bloody good at knowing his job. It may

> be small and cramped at seasonal times of the year

> (where isn't?) but the quality is excellent and it

> would be daft to take my buggy in at these

> times-it is just not practical, and there are

> planty of other shops where it isn't practical to

> take in a buggy or small children, or wheelchairs

> etc!

And also wondering whether the writer proposes that wheelchair users crawl on hands and knees and tums into this particular 'highlight' of the ED firmament.

A curious and ill-informed attitude to disability, if you are right on the author DM (and illegal too, AFAIK, if they were to refuse/protest at wheelchair access/use).

Louisiana

*suddenly very depressed by the idea of braying shopkeepers wishing wheelchair users to disappear*

Dear Louisiana,

Can you seriously imagine a mother with a pram on a rainey day out to do some shopping - cheerily thinking;

"Oh well, I don't expect to be able to access this shop during busy times, ho-hum, I shall just take my buggy and bog off"...

I don't really think so. It all seems a bit odd to me!

DM

<<

A curious and ill-informed attitude to disability, if you are right on the author DM (and illegal too, AFAIK, if they were to refuse/protest at wheelchair access/use).

Louisiana

*suddenly very depressed by the idea of braying shopkeepers wishing wheelchair users to disappear*<<<

The shop has to make "reasonable adjustment" to be accessible to/for people with disabilities. I think they could successfully argue that the very nature of the interior of the shop makes it intrinsically nnsuitable for ramping/allowing wheelchairs etc inside. As long as they are willing to send an assistant out to deal with a wheelchair user's purchases I think they're obeying both the letter and spirit of the law. Or they would be if they had an outside "doorbell" for such customers to press, as the main post office on Lordship Lane does, and the sub post office on Forest Hill Road.

TillieTrotter Wrote:

> Tis true Capt, they are obviously not parents

Sometimes, when I pop into a small glass-fronted shop for one minute (leaving Junior in clear view outside), I do worry that he might spontaneously combust, learn to undo a harness and (learn to) run away very quickly, or fall foul of the hordes of lightning-fast babynappers who prowl Lordship Lane every day...

But generally, he seems to be ok.

Dear Bob,

I fear you may have missed the point! The big fear for some of us parents (I am sure TillieTrotter will agree) with regard to leaving a pram outside a shop, is that someone plonks another baby in it too, and then you could end up strapped with an extra baby!

There are some exhausted and desperate parents out there.

DM

capt_birdseye Wrote:

> Does anybody remember a boy called James Bulger,

> whose mother left him outside a shop while she

> quickly nipped in to buy something?

A cracking bit of Daily Mail-esque scaremongering, Capt! Yes, of course I do remember that. It was in 1990 - a full 17 years ago. Come on.. We're not talking about leaving a (walking) toddler outside a shop in a busy shopping centre, we're talking about leaving a pram outside the EDD in full view through the window.

D-Mum.. no-one has ever, ever, 'plonked a baby in my pram'.. how strange.

That's because they plonk them in my front garden - incidentally does anyone remember the english girl jailed for life (and later released) in the US for 'popping' the child on the bed?

Perhaps we could create s simlar euphemsim for poleaxeing the displays in EDD? ;-)

She always claimed she was stitched up and ...

"In 2007, Dr Patrick Barnes, the prosecution's star medical witness, reversed his opinion. He concluded that death could have been caused by an old injury, as argued by the defence. In a scientific paper he states: "The science we have today could, in fact, have exonerated Louise. There is certainly, in retrospect, reasonable doubt.""

She's just lucky she's not still rotting in some American jail.

Aaaaanyway...eggs, corridors, prams, nice produce...

I'm not taking the piss, Capt.. I was just yoke-ing (oh dear - sorry)

Well maybe not joking exactly. Just making the point that citing the Bulger case was a tad off the mark for the situation we're discussing here - and smacked a little of the paedophile-lurking-behind-every-bush tabloidism that (personally) really cheeses me off.

Of course some parents wouldn't be happy to leave their nipper unattended in such a situation, but that doesn't mean those that do are 'asking for it' or being bad parents!