Commuterama - commute times from East Dulwich

Chartwell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't think that the TFL journey planner always

> gives the best route possible. For example to get

> to Victoria on the bus from Barry Road it advises

> you to take a range of different buses, rather

> than saying walk to Lordship Lane and get the 185.

> This thread of personal experience, I would

> suggest, is more helpful.

I agree. For all kinds of journeys, it often suggests I go to Brixton first (and then sometimes some unknown-to-me coach/bus station), where the journey is much more straightforward without going there...and I find the 37 unreliable (have had to wait for over 1 hour) and it doesn't actually pass anywhere near me.

I think this happened, for example, when I looked up ED-Southampton, or other south destinations.

Some analysis seems to suggest that it's trying to stop me from going to L Bridge or to central London to catch a train, and it trying to encourage me to travel 'around' London. But 'cross' services tend to be poor.

Havent timed mine but it is a pleasure and cheap: overground to charing cross and then walking up regent st to harley st. So glad i dont need the tube plus getting some exercise in the open air plus cheap ticket...good old east dulwich I say

best thing about living on barry road is that's where the 12 starts, i always get the same seat every day! i ride it all the way to piccadilly circus, where i work, much more civilised than fannying about with trains etc. 50mins but a relaxing 50mins, except when they invariably announce that the bus will terminate at trafalgar square.

i've lost count of the number of arguments i've had with friends who pay through the nose to live in horrendously violent areas (one lot were paying ?100/month more than me and had someone murdered LITERALLY on their doorstep in Oval, and their local newsagent blown up) "but it's near the tube and only takes me 25mins to get to work, if i'm not on the tube i don't feel like i'm london" the idiots whine. I honestly don't understand why anyone chooses to live anywhere other than East Dulwich.

I get this from friends all the time. They always react with astonishment when I tell them ED is in zone 2 - as if London begins 10 miles North of the Thames but sort of stops at the South Bank. The tube thing is annoying - I mean Amersham and Epping have tubes but they're hardly in London are they? Plus the tube is AWFUL and totally overrated, it's such a totally unpleasant, uncivilised way to travel. Just getting to and from the platform seems to take half the journey time, plus you never get a seat in rush hour... I'd much rather wait 10 minutes for an overland train or a bus.

I have to say I work in Canary Wharf and drive there. Having worked there for years and suffered the nightmares of the jubilee line being down and trying to therefore negotiate the DLR when everyone tries to pile on this, I have resorted to using my car. Just wanted to say have been reading this forum for ages and whilst have not posted anythng before have found it incredibly useful and entertaining especially the number of posts about Landells road as I live on it. Just been scared to write anything before!!!

JoeChuff Wrote:

> best thing about living on barry road is that's

> where the 12 starts, i always get the same seat

> every day! i ride it all the way to piccadilly

> circus, where i work, much more civilised than

> fannying about with trains etc. 50mins but a

> relaxing 50mins, except when they invariably

> announce that the bus will terminate at trafalgar

> square.

>

> i've lost count of the number of arguments i've

> had with friends who pay through the nose to live

> in horrendously violent areas (one lot were paying

> ?100/month more than me and had someone murdered

> LITERALLY on their doorstep in Oval, and their

> local newsagent blown up) "but it's near the tube

> and only takes me 25mins to get to work, if i'm

> not on the tube i don't feel like i'm london" the

> idiots whine. I honestly don't understand why

> anyone chooses to live anywhere other than East

> Dulwich.

You and I most likely sit close to each chum, as I use the 12 every day as well! I agree, it really winds me up when the driver announces as we round Parliament Square that the bus is terminating at Trafalgar Square!

I never use the 12 to get back to ED though. I always find the buses jam-packed down Regent Street and it takes an age to get through Piccadilly and Haymarket.

I only use the 12 in the mornings because I go to college in Camberwell... I miss the routemasters and double deckers... and their termination point is right outside my house. I can currently hear them reversing... I don't mind a long bus journey if I can sit on the top deck and day dream for a good hour out the window. Can't do that on the bendy bus - feels too intrusive! People standing all around you... Can't get a good view out the window either! And yes - its always terminating at Traflagar Square when I want to go all the way to Oxford Circus...

Once again, I left my work at 10.30pm, got on the 176 at Cambridge Circus at 10.44pm... I didn't arrive home until 12.15am. It took an entire HOUR to go from Cambridge Circus to Charing Cross Station... as I sat there I thought I could've walked to Elephant and Castle in half an hour and got one of several buses back home. I'm tempted to start getting the 12 home from work, but I really hate going through Peckham late at night.

It was amazing to see an entire bus get incredibly pissed off and deflated at unexpainable traffic for the fifth night in a row... The traffic was worse then Walworth Road I swear. At least that moved.

Goodness what a moan. But I am so fed up with traffic. And I refuse to pay more to get the train in. ?14 bus pass is enough on minimum wage thank you very much.

Welcome aboard to Emma - but be warned.. your work will now suffer (just a quick peek so see if anyone has posted)

Redrouge - Not often I get the 176 back at night but those times I have done it, the situation you describe transpired.. In fact I think it was around that time that I decided to see how quickly I could walk places instead of travelling by car/bus/train and I haven't looked back. Not only is it 1000% less stressful, but you learn more about the town and it's 100% reliable (People being late is a right old bug-bear for me!)

beatnic Wrote:

> East Dulwich to White City

>

> 45-55 minutes cycle: variations due to weather,

> traffic and condition of cyclist!

That's pretty impressive. What's your magic route?

Hi Klaus, it's fairly scenic - taking in lots of great tourits attractions!

Down the west side of Peckham Rye to Rye Lane and then between Peckham Library and Peckham Pulse there's a cycle path up to the Old Kent Road marked "quiet route".

Then up to Elephant along Old and New Kent Roads - can be a bit hairy (in fact I had an accident at the junction with Surrey Square last year).

From Elephant up past Lambeth North tube and up to and over Westminster Bridge, round Parliament Square and through to Horseguards.

Then up the Mall to Buckingham Palace, then up Constitution Hill and across Hyde Park Corner in to Hyde Park.

Through Hyde Park and in to Kensington Gardens by Serpentine Gallery. Out of the park and left on to Bayswater Road then through Notting Hill Gate down Holland Park Avenue round Shepherds Bush Green and up Wood Lane.

Here's a link to the route using Gmaps Pedometer - which tells me it's 11.3 miles - my speedo says 11.5 which I tend to round up to 12 - as I was always taught in maths :-)

agreed, 12 is no good on the way back. i usually walk from haymarket to elephant after work to get a bit of exercise, by the time i get there the rush hour is abating and i have my pick of the 12, 40, 176, or even 171/148 and change at Camberwell - fine as i'm usually not in a hurry.

Also has everyone seen that it's Walk To Work Day on Thursday? I've walked all the way home I few times, not sure I fancy walking from ED in the mornings though!!

Joe

Having done the walk to and from work several times - (I managed 8/10 trips one week!) I have to say the morning is better... The air is lighter and and the streets (think Walworth Rd) much quieter

On the way back however my good intentions evaporate by the time I hit the bars of LL and think "well.. I've earned it"

Parkers Folly, how do you get back to ED if not on the 12? I agree with you it's always packed and I have to stand most usually until Elephant before getting a seat. I have noticed though that sometimes an empty bus starts out half way down Whitehall and I have the luxury of getting any seat I want - hurrah!

Chartwell Wrote:

> Parkers Folly, how do you get back to ED if not on

> the 12? I agree with you it's always packed and I

> have to stand most usually until Elephant before

> getting a seat. I have noticed though that

> sometimes an empty bus starts out half way down

> Whitehall and I have the luxury of getting any

> seat I won't - hurrah!

I usually walk to Victoria, get the Dartford train to Peckham Rye and the 12 home from there. It seems a bit of a schlepp, but actually, I get half an hour's exercise walking, and door to door it probably takes me 75 mins. :)

kingtubby Wrote:

> Hi Nic

>

> Out of interest, why don't you do the ED ->

> Brockwell park -> Brixton Hill -> Clapham ->

> Battersea Park -> Chelsea -> Olympia-> Bush way.

>

> I used to do this route every week and speedo was

> on 9, I think.

>

> KT

I tried going that way a few times last year. It always felt like a harder effort and seemed to take just as long. I'm sure I clocked up more than 9 miles though so maybe I didn't go the best way.

Did you use the cycle routes along the way?

Hi Nic

Yes cycle routes upto the river, then head in hands after that. I will try your way next time I need to go to the bush, might be another thread but we could post best cycle routes to points in London from ED that forum people use, using google maps

KT

oh excellent idea with the cycle routes ...

I'm new to this cycling lark and love slipping in with the shoal of cycles on my to the Elephant of a morning. I found my current route in this forum and I'd love to see others ... post, post, post away ...

Speaking of which (I am probably going off topic now...) I have been meaning to cycle to work for a while but have so far been put off by the thought of the Old Kent Road.

Can anyone advise a good, safe route - preferably avoiding those hideous roundabouts at Elephant - from Peckham Rye side of East D to Chancery Lane? And tell me how long it takes? And ressure me that I (probably) won't get killed by a bendy bus?

I work at Hammersmith Hospital, near East Acton - so a bit further than White City.

For me it's bus to Elephant & Castle, Bakerloo line to Oxford Circus, then Central Line to East Acton. Then a nice 15 minute walk. Total time - 90 minutes.

Alternative is train to London Bridge, Northern Line to Bank then Central Line to East Acton. Cuts maybe 15 minutes off the journey, BUT trains are so horrible in the morning I prefer just getting the bus and relaxing.

Hi James - this is the one I use to Elepephant - it was posted in another thread (serach for "pushbike" if you wnat to read the whole thing...

professordingo Wrote:

> Doggy mountain's good for the leg muscles, but

> frankly a girl doesnt want to end up with Arnold

> Schwarzenegger's pins!!... you can log onto the

> TFL website and they'll send you a free

> cycle-route map of whichever London areas you

> choose - really handy.

>

> the route towards russell sq from here is (Crystal

> Palace Road)--> Adys Road then Bellenden and onto

> the 1-way system (lyndhurst way - appalling road

> surface, wish southwark would get themselves into

> gear on that one) --> turn left onto peckham rd

> then 1st right into southampton way, cut right

> onto coleman rd, follow round to end, then right

> onto wells way; at end of wells (corner of burgess

> park) turn left onto albany then 1st right into

> portland street - follow this up past east st

> market and then towards the end you turn right -

> it's all signposted (blue signs showing the cycle

> route). from there you need to get onto the new

> kent rd (cycle path along edge of pavement) in the

> direction of elephant, where there;s a pedestrian

> crossing signposted for bikes and it takes you

> onto meadow row then rockingham which then takes

> you via cycle crossing over newington causeway and

> you go straight over down the side of south bank

> uni (keyworth st) - i then go right on borough rd

> and 1st left into lancaster st - cross straight

> over blackfriars rd up webber st brings you out by

> old vic... after waterloo bridge just before you

> start going round aldwych, you can cycle over the

> pavement (cycle route) onto wellington st - i then

> go right on russell st onto drury lane and then

> north north north and you come out opposite

> british museum.

>

>

Maybe you can adapt this one. At the elephant you don't need to go round the roundabouts as there are cycle routes and toucan crossings...there's an alternative route via an old canal path (behind peckham pulse) which brings you out at burgess park which is et out in nic's post above ...