Commuterama - commute times from East Dulwich

tower bridge as well- 25 mins on the bike- most of it on cycle lane 22- bit scary when you go over the bridge but other than that its easy- much better than waiting for a train at peckham rye or waiting for a bus

10 second stagger to the office, most days.

Some days - average of once per week? - I travel to clients, but they tend to be everywhere/anywhere. Today I was in Leicester, or rather Narborough, but more often it's somewhere in the City or Canary Wharf (I've been up quite a few of the taller buildings), or somewhere in Scotland, or from time to time Brussels, Copenhagen, US.

I love the buses. I just got off the train at St Pancreas, and Kings X underground station was shut, so I hopped on a 91, then a 176, which deposits me 100 yeards from home. For the City, it's usually the 40. For Westminster, the 12. And this morning I took the 185 to Vauxhall, to get to Kings X. But my fave is the 176, all the way from Oxford Street. I do a lot of reading, listening to new music.

I only use the local trains if time is really pressing (and the flight will leave without me:-S) and the traffic might be bad. Back in 1991, I got on the train at F Hill, changed at L Bridge for Cannon Street (then I worked near Cheapside), and was carried off when the train crashed. I soon after left the firm and never commuted again. The occasional times I do use the trains, they are all too remeniscent of the ride on that day: cattlewagon conditions etc. And by the time you've got to the station, put up with late and no-show trains, changed and so on, not really much faster.

I use London City airport a fair amount (no queues!), and wonder which is the fastest trip there from here. My usual is BR to L Bridge, eastbound Jubilee to Canning Town, DLR to airport, but I think the New Cross route might be a viable alternative.

Bicycle is not really practical for many work trips: far too much luggage, and often long haul.

Louisiana

As a coda to previous post, my daftest regular journey is to my hairdresser in Westbourne Grove. Bus to Elephant, tube to Paddington, bus for the rest. And a similarly long trip is to an old client based at Westbourne Studios - that's the dreadful Metropolitan Line from Baker Street, so an end-to-end of at least 90 mins.

East Dulwich to White City

45-55 minutes cycle: variations due to weather, traffic and condition of cyclist!

60-80 minutes Bus, Tube, Tube: 63 to Elephant, Bakerloo to Oxford Circus, Central to White City - anything from 65-80 minutes each way - good for a read.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> West London to LL - worst type of journey. Any

> bands playing Shepherds Bush Empire or Hammy Odeon

> have to be WAY up on my list to even contemplate

> the journey back

>

> Louisiana - any time i arrive at Kings X it's the

> 63 all the way home - off at the Rye for a quick

> hop down to LL

How long do you reckon it takes, end to end? I'm just trying to figure out the 'safe' time that would be needed to reach Kings X when travelling 7-9am period (with a ticket only valid for a particular train, so no risks).

Louisiana

I work on Shaftesbury Avenue, and I used to get the 176 from the top of LL all the way there and then walk... but ever since the roadworks on Walworth Road changing my non-rushhour journey to two hours rather then half an hour... I've changed routes.

I now get the 185 all the way to Victoria and then I get the 38 bus to the Avenue, or if its nice our and I'm wearing comfy shoes I'll walk there from Green Park and down Piccadilly. And that takes an hour on a good day...

I get the 176 home though... and I leave at 10.30pm, and never get home until 11.30pm... at that time of night it still takes forever to get home. It used to take twenty minutes to get home after work...

WHEN WILL THE WALWORTH ROAD ROADWORKS EVER END?!??!

my hay fever is off the scale today but that made me laugh out loud and had heads turning my way

Cheapest is walking of course

otherwise it's a bus bus for you 185 to Oval and then change for 436 to Paddington

I would allow 2 hours - should take hour and a half but you know the score

I sometimes get bus to Elephant and tube (Bakerloo) from ther but it doesn't save that much time and is more expensive

Or you could cadge a lift!

georgia bullock Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ha ha ha that's funny and very good for this time

> in the morning!

>

> You can get a bus from Camberwell to Paddington -

> 36 or 436 I think. God I sound like I work for

> TFL...

Yes, both 36 and 436 go to/from Praed Street Paddington via Camberwell Green, Victoria, Marble Arch.

I don't think that the TFL journey planner always gives the best route possible. For example to get to Victoria on the bus from Barry Road it advises you to take a range of different buses, rather than saying walk to Lordship Lane and get the 185. This thread of personal experience, I would suggest, is more helpful.

Select "I'd rather walk if it makes my journey quicker" at the bottom of the Journey Planner search page, doing that tells me to walk to the Police station (from the middle of Barry Road) to get the 185 to Victoria.

But I agree, personal experience is better especially warnings about avoiding that damn Walworth road.