> -----

> > What does a gypsy look like.... How can you

> > describe someone like that...

>

>

>

> Oh for the love of God!

>

> SHE WAS QUOTING WHAT SOMEONE HAD SAID TO HER!!!

She wrote this...

From what i know and have seen and heard she is gypsy.

Doodle1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What does a gypsy look like....

I've got my eyes peeled for a woman that has a cackling laugh, Pat Butcher ear rings and an oversized crystal ball. We need to find her soon as it might be difficult to differentiate once office Christmas party season kicks in...

Agreen.

And RD, okay, so she said "seen", but again, she's 13, and probably meant a woman with a head shawl or something. I doubt any offence was meant.

And now Doodle1 who has already pretty much called the girl's parents negligent, is comparing her to Nigel bloody Farage. You couldn't make it up!

It's funny because things being stolen by gypsies was a "thing" in the 1970s when I was a teen. And the gypsies were always the bad guy. I'm also a bit surprised that many people think a 13 year old being online at 11.30pm is no biggie.

I would like the EDF to be for use by adults only. I had no idea that it wasn't!

The original poster is 13 years old. She lost her phone and it hasn't been returned (and we all know how easy it is to do that if you really want to). Yet some people still choose to criticise her and not the person / people who have dishonestly kept it.

Very confusing.

The comment about the gypsy may have been inappropriate but once one person has raised it is there any need for it to be commented on again and again and again, especially given her age?

The comments of some people on this forum only discourages the community spirit that the EDF is meant to promote.

Adults!

Please stop this revealing to the youth of today that we actually behave like deranged teens.

Some of us are doing our DAMNEDEST to pretend to our teenifying offspring that we have the upper hand / moral authority / sense of perspective / dignity / self-respect / even handedness / clear headed / far sighted / deep rooted voice of reason. I can only hope that poor Megmeg forgets her ill-fated dalliance with adult social media and returns to the calmer shores of twinstergabchat or whatever the young people have these days.

newboots Wrote:

> It's funny because things being stolen by gypsies

> was a "thing" in the 1970s when I was a teen. And

> the gypsies were always the bad guy. I'm also a

> bit surprised that many people think a 13 year old

> being online at 11.30pm is no biggie.

>

> I would like the EDF to be for use by adults only.

> I had no idea that it wasn't!

The last time I was pick pocketed in Oxford street (a number of years back) - quite brilliantly

the police at the time blamed the Portuguese.

newboots Wrote:

> I would like the EDF to be for use by adults only.

> I had no idea that it wasn't!

Why would you think that its for adults only? Do you have to enter your age when registering? Do you have to confirm that you're aged 18 or over?

I am wholly happy that young people use/ read/ contribute to this forum. A lot of the time we pontificate about issues (such as schools, playgrounds etc. etc.) of more direct relevance to them than to the older contributors - it would be good to get their take on some of these things. Admin makes sure (and thanks for that) there is nothing inappropriate (I mean really inappropriate) posted here.

As to the whole 'gypsy' issue - there is clearly (look at the fashion pages) a style of clothing which is categorised as 'gypsy' - although it is really an interpretation of eastern european folk clothing - so it would be quite easy to translate 'wearing clothes of eastern european peasant tendancies' into 'gypsy' - even though the wearer may not be any form of traveller, and certainly not Romany. Someone wearing Jamaican colours and with dreadlocks may be short-handed into 'Rastafarian' - without in fact and actually being one. Descriptive short-hands are both quite valuable, as quick and easily understood descriptors, but can be mis-read into appearing dismissive or racist.

Someone who has just lost (to whatever cause) a highly valued possession could perhaps be cut a little slack by the thought police here.

I was in Oxford Street a couple of Novembers ago and there was an extremely elderly man wearing his war medals standing outside a department store with a poppy tray. I went to buy one and as I stepped towards him a young 'gypsy' woman dressed in full colourful skirts, headscarf and big earrings jumped in front of me with her hand outstretched. I surprised myself and told her to f-off! I refer to her as a gypsy because she was wearing 'gypsy' apparel.

Louisa Wrote:

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >

> > Yes, the characters described by your

> judgemental

> > stereotype are so judgemental :-)

>

> Talking of jumping to the use of stereotypes,

> isn't it a shame that the usual suspects on here

> resort to questioning someone about one aspect or

> turn of phrase from a post rather talking about

> the loss of the phone, which immediately

> stereotypes that poster as being x y or z. Forget

> the fact the poor person potentially had their

> phone half inched, the guardianista seems more

> concerned about the alleged perpetrator being

> referred to in a negative and more than likely

> accidental turn of phrase. As I said, priorities

> :)

>

> Louisa.

Yeh, there is nothing judgemental in your hackneyed 'middle class' stereotype.

No one abused the original poster, or called them racist, or any of the other things which have been implied. They questioned the assumptions made, based on some pretty random associations and which were glaringly obvious to all.

The fact that some 'insightful' peeps were waiting for others to point out the strange leap from 'phone being left somewhere' to 'it was stolen by a gypsy' says it all really.

You could argue that it didn't need to be said, but not that it was not self-evident to think it.