Pavements in poor condition and parking nightmare

bagpuss

The pavements in lordship lane and the road where I live are in a very bad state. I have complained to council but heard nothing. I am partially sighted and now have a precious bundle in pram to push around. Has anybody else contacted Southwark?

Also......sorry for moans! But parking around goose green is a nightmare.......we would welcome parking permits as we can hardly ever park near our house!!! Are there any old threads about this or any ideas for introducing residents permits. Right moaning over!!!

Looking forward to Xmas and the trees by edit!

What road do you live in? I live in the same area and I don't want parking permits to be brought in. Southwark have tried twice to implement a RP scheme and have been defeated both times. Having a parking permit doesn't guarantee that you will have a place to park outside your house.

Pavements are a different matter. I agree that lots of them are in bad shape. Contact your local councillor and post on James Barber's thread.

The proposals for residents parking (that have been regularly defeated) have reduced the number of spaces allocated in the roads effected. Unless the number of permits is also very restricted your chances of parking close to your house will still be diminished (indeed, where there are multiple small zones, then if you can't park in 'your own' you may have to drive considerable distances to get to an unrestricted road). Where the zones are large, then your chances of parking reasonably close are better, but probably no better than having no zone at all. One of the roads close to ED station (that I know quite well) is only really parked-up at night, and not during the day when commuters using ED station might be expected to be using side streets to park. So the parking pressure may well be a function of the number of people with cars (including multiple car households) who actually live in your area. Residents parking will not help in this circumstance, unless permits are savagely restricted.

I am 100% with you on the pavement issue. In March this year Southwark Council spent (no doubt) a small fortune digging up the existing speed bumps on Henslowe Road to replace them with full width speed bumps. A total waste of time - the original bumps were perfectly fine and it's a one way road that's not a cut through so traffic flow is extremely low. If speeding was an issue with the old bumps the new ones certainly made no difference. The pavements which are in a terrible state were totally overlooked. In September this year, Southwark Council dug up all of the new speed bumps they'd laid in March and re put down identical speed bumps???? The pavements, yup, they're still in a terrible state. Excellent use of tax payers money - well done Southwark and well done Lib Dems for failing to address the really issues in ED as ever. Oh and thanks to you as well for the pointless double yellow lines at the end of the street. We never had a parking issue on Henslowe Road, we do now!!!

I don't want.. CPZ in SE22.

LL pavements are in a terrible condition...

James Barber did say (I seem to remember)sometime back in the year this was in hand with Southwark Council.

Well it must still be in hand because they are getting worse.

Have not seen the pretty pavement lights outside East Dulwich Station.

They probably cost a lot of money.

I'm sure they are very nice.

DulwichFox

No money for actually fixing the pavements when some local idiot must have decided to put fading coloured lights in a semi circle around ED station. Just cross from there and you almost fall over the pavements are so uneven.

But no, bright coloured lights that fade in and out, much better investment by the council and our hard earned cash.

Which bright spark did that?

speedbird Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No money for actually fixing the pavements when

> some local idiot must have decided to put fading

> coloured lights in a semi circle around ED

> station. Just cross from there and you almost fall

> over the pavements are so uneven.

> But no, bright coloured lights that fade in and

> out, much better investment by the council and our

> hard earned cash.

>

> Which bright spark did that?

Whoever it was it was apparently done approximately 10 years ago.

Andrew1011 Wrote:

> speedbird Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > No money for actually fixing the pavements when

> > some local idiot must have decided to put

> fading

> > coloured lights in a semi circle around ED

> > station. Just cross from there and you almost

> fall

> > over the pavements are so uneven.

> > But no, bright coloured lights that fade in and

> > out, much better investment by the council and

> our

> > hard earned cash.

> >

> > Which bright spark did that?

>

> Whoever it was it was apparently done

> approximately 10 years ago.

And a completely different "budget" no doubt.

Andrew1011 Wrote:

> speedbird Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > No money for actually fixing the pavements when

> > some local idiot must have decided to put

> fading

> > coloured lights in a semi circle around ED

> > station. Just cross from there and you almost

> fall

> > over the pavements are so uneven.

> > But no, bright coloured lights that fade in and

> > out, much better investment by the council and

> our

> > hard earned cash.

> >

> > Which bright spark did that?

>

> Whoever it was it was apparently done

> approximately 10 years ago.

No, it was a recent bright spark! A couple of years ago max. Super tosser.....

This may be related to the sewers. I learned in another thread that East Dulwich has frequent small floods, possibly due to too many new developments, as compared to the amount expected > 100 years ago.

I imagine those incidents would put a strain on the sidewalks.

Henry

Totally agree. Except half the width of the pavements (at least on one side) are privately owned by dozens of different landlords. Refurbishing the publicly owned section would probably look ridiculous.

Oh and a CPZ is an absolute inevitability. Ridiculous that we're the only bit of zone 2 (North or South of the river) that doesn't have one. ED isn't and shouldn't be a special case.

I've received plans of the proposed pavement works to 133-159 Lordship Lane to remove the ponding and make an even surface. It is expensive complicated work as utilities are close to the surface, private shops forecourts and shop owners need to agree to the works. These works would be centrally funded.

I've also asked officers what it would cost to use some devolved highway renewal money to do redo other parts of Lordship Lane pavements that are in a pickle.

• 2 weeks later...

James Barber Wrote:

> I've received plans of the proposed pavement works

> to 133-159 Lordship Lane to remove the ponding and

> make an even surface. It is expensive complicated

> work as utilities are close to the surface,

> private shops forecourts and shop owners need to

> agree to the works. These works would be centrally

> funded.

Any update on doing practical works to pavements instead of disco light config?

>

> I've also asked officers what it would cost to use

> some devolved highway renewal money to do redo

> other parts of Lordship Lane pavements that are in

> a pickle.

I much prefer living in a CPZ. Provided you have the cash to buy your permit (plus books of vouchers for friends/tradespeople) and are relatively organised. I park right outside my house every time.

Doubt the traders along LL would be quite so keen, though.