Age Discrimination at ED hairdressers

lululili

edcam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ?40/50 on a haircut for a 13 year old? Is this a

> joke thread?

I had a miserable time at that age and older because my parents had my hair cut (and in those days permed :( ) at a small local hairdresser who was more used to giving old ladies shampoo and sets, and certainly had little idea about cutting.

Most of my classmates went to a more upmarket salon elsewhere. They were quite kind but I was on occasion teased because of my hair.

I would say that if her parents can afford to pay that, and it gives her confidence in her appearance, what on earth is wrong with that?

A lack of confidence at thirteen can stay with you an awful long time.

There are many places in the world where the best on offer is a relative with a basin! It's not for me to question how anyone spends their money but let me say this. How on earth would some of you cope if the creature comforts were taken away? It's just hair. Thank goodness my two have no such issues.

Alan Medic Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

>

>

> > A lack of confidence at thirteen can stay with

> you

> > an awful long time.

>

> You get over it once you can't remember what it

> was like to be thirteen or fourteen........

I wasn't suggesting somebody might lack confidence in later life because they remembered having crap hair at thirteen :))

I meant that once you have a lack of confidence for whatever reason, it is often hard to regain it.

And Blah Blah, if your children are teenage girls they are very lucky if they have "no such issues."

It is not very fair to talk about "many places in the world". We are living in East Dulwich, and so presumably is the OP's daughter. That's a bit like saying we should all starve because people are starving elsewhere :(

Anyway, I still highly recommend Shingo at Kuki, rather than washing your daughter's hair with soap and then chopping at it with a pair of nail scissors :))

I get your view Sue (and never meant to belittle yours or anyone elses experience), but I also stick by my view that my son and daughter have no such 'issues'. They would never be traumatised by something as insignificant as an unhappy haircut. Hair grows, and we can change stylist. Being a bloke I go to the barbers and they are cheaper than what ladies seem to have to pay. Never understood that personally.

Edited to say that my wife has just told me I am such a knob :D

Blah Blah Wrote:

> Being a bloke I go to the barbers and they are cheaper

> than what ladies seem to have to pay. Never

> understood that personally.

We have hair cuts.

Women have hair styles.

glenfruin Wrote:

> Just to say Kuki do not charge ?40 for a kids

> haircut. My daughter's haircut costs ?15 and they

> take time over the whole process!

That sounds like a mega bargain!

I pay about 45 quid for a haircut. Short back and sides. My mates with their 10 quid Turkish trims are usually incredulous. But it's worth it at hipster Blue Tit because:

- They will play obscure electronica before beat mixing into Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler.

- You get a beer or wine.

- The chairs are really uncomfortable but it doesn't matter because they are original 1950's and imported from America.

:)) :)) :))

The first time I went to Kuki, they were playing a Davy Graham album. I had to go back after that, never mind the hair cut :))

And they have a chair which massages you as you're getting your hair washed with your feet up.

Not very hipster but very soothing .....

Yet another recommendation for Kuki. I've had hair cut by Shingo and a nice woman (Amy?) and have been very happy w/ service and result every time. Really reasonable too. Much better than the other places round here - I remember having horrible experiences as a teenager similar to the one described by OP in GMs, Headnizm and Willis B. Kuki for the win!

Have you tried Tracey Cahoon in the Little Shop of Hair ( out the back of Charlie Foxtrot Nunhead Green) she's a session stylist for fashion and film when not in her shop - very on it in terms of latest cuts - I'd imagine any teenager would be excited by idea of having someone who cuts Orlando Bloom's hair!