first time

grumpyoldman

Yeah, same old story... heard it all before. I could pick holes in almost every claim in the original post, but can't be bothered.

But SMG is right, the tone on the forum hasn't been great recently. There seem to be a few new posters who either have a chip on their shoulder, or are just wind-up merchants. Happy to generalise all "newcomers" as snobs and racists, who have ruined their beloved suburb beyond recognition.

I agree with Jeremy, although it's a forum it doesn't give people the right to call everyone tossers especially as they don't know them. To use ????'s analogy it's like having a quiet drink in the pub and a couple of loud mouth arrogant nobs coming in and shouting abuse, have a quiet word with the barman and he'll have a quiet word with them. So please do comment to Admin about these things, a few of you have and action has been taken against some. If you think people are being flaming, rude or just out of order do report it, the forum's meant to be a useful and fun place and it shouldn't be spoilt by a few who get their weird kicks from stirring up negativity.

Considering some of the drivel lately Grumpyoldman?s first post was actually quite well thought out and observant. Perhaps nostalgic but that is common to most of us and I dare say I will have similar sentiments about my home town in 50 years time.

In a proper response which justifies it (yesterday I was too exasperated to do this) I would point out that when you say;

?When I moved to the area we lived in a multi racial area where people were willing to talk to each other regardless of class or colour. We could walk down Lordship lane and talk to people and purchase goods of a vast variety of nature.

We could happily shop in Peckham??

All these things are still true. Well at least they are for me and the people I know.

And as for the pubs, most of them are still just pubs. Wallpaper and furnishings change (have always changed and will always change) but they are still pubs, open to all and they attract a wide range of different people. Just like anywhere in London.

But you are totally right in saying that people just using this forum to have a moan and/or a go at other people is very tedious indeed.

Hope to hear more from you.

I'll chip in if you dont mind.

Was 83 I first lived here. was riots and muggings and i remember being held up in a bus.The gun police kicked my door down 2am once, to do with my irish surname. whoops! wrong people. It wasnt that cool here then was it?

nice things i remember like 'under mah sleng teng' wooshing across the rye. I kinda didnt have any friends here and stayed for 2 years.I remember that last nov 5th bonfire night when the local council said goodbye, in fireworks.

Now its a completely different story. from wishing to never live here again to actually feeling quite rooted in and very happy to be here.All kinds of choices exsist now. pubwise, leisure wise, none of that was there b4. Plus the rye is amazing, it was pretty depressing back then. Im not sure thats right about the forum being a moanathon.Been pretty informative about the area pros and cons if you ask me.