What to wear? (to ED pubs on St Patricks Day)

Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> St George did exist. He was a soldier in the Roman

> Army and came from Turkey I think. He did

> something in Spain which is why he is their

> Patron. Then it had something to do with the

> crusaders that he ended up being celebrated as

> patron in Britian. I think anyway go look it up or

> summing I'm supposed to be working.

He was actually Palestinian, the funny thing is a lot of the far right think he was English :)

Something like 15 other countries have him as a patron saint too, it's by no means an 'English' day either.

wee quinnie Wrote:

> Jeez this thread is a let down - its VERY light on

> St Patricks Day fashion.

Ha ha, just what I was thinking! Not nearly enough fashion and beauty talked on the EDF...

My bridesmaid wore green (totally coincidental, I'm not a saddo honest)! I'm from NZ and Mr Pickle is Scottish, we didn't even think about the fact that it was St Patrick's day when we booked our wedding, but at least we get plenty of warning that our anniversary is about to happen when all the pubs start putting up their boards advertising the celebrations... no excuses for forgetting!

snorky Wrote:

> St patricks day is as Traditionally Irish as the

> Pogues- i.e not at all.

mm Pogues are from Dublin, last time I looked at the map Dublin was in Ireland

SCSB79 Wrote:

> what annoys me about St Patricks Day is the amount

> of non-Irish folk "celebrating" it.

What a peculiar thing to say, So all non irish folk should not celebrate the life of St Patrick who was actually welsh. Well I am married to a man From Northern Ireland, Am I allowed to celebrate????

SCSB79 Wrote:

> what annoys me about St Patricks Day is the amount

> of non-Irish folk "celebrating" it.

Tell me about it. I feel embarrassed for tans who feel the need to highjack someone else's national day.

It'll be the 4th of July next.

If you want to get technical about it St Patrick?s Day is a Catholic feast day and therefore can be celebrated by anyone who so chooses. It just has special significance in Ireland as he is their Patron.

But seriously who cares who wants to celebrate it and why? Does it somehow cause offence to Irish people? Well not to any that I know. Bemusement maybe but not offence.

monica Wrote:

> snorky Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > St patricks day is as Traditionally Irish as

> the

> > Pogues- i.e not at all.

> mm Pogues are from Dublin, last time I looked at

> the map Dublin was in Ireland

I would do a bit of research on this Mon- seriously

Buy a huge floppy green hat, bought from a stand that usually sells miniatures of the Tower of London on Tottenham Court Road.

Drink as much poorly-kept Guinness, as fast as they can pour it out and stamp a shamrock on top with a plastic cut-out.

Start the night singing Danny Boy and return on the last tube doing Arsenal football chants.

Buy kebab. Urinate in bus shelter. Chunder as and when required. Home.

Do what real irishmen do

Move somewhere else in the world as soon as you are old enough, to escape the grinding poverty & crippling catholisicm, then harp ( ha! ) on about the motherland at every possible opportunity, expuinding its mythical good points to anyone within earshot.

*tests the current - a quick, expert flip of the wrist, and the fly soars over - the satisfying plop as it lands - the gentle tug of the moving tarn - the fisherman knows this waterway is full of his potential prey, but who will it be? Perhaps he might even dream of landing the great MacGabhann with such a lure*

Unfortunately English national dress has become the world's business wear. Stick a suit on.

Oh, and the rose behind the ear is a plan! What about a red rose behind your left (or westward) ear, and a white rose behind your right (or eastward) ear, and then your face can battle with itself.

Brendan Wrote:

> If you want to get technical about it St Patrick?s

> Day is a Catholic feast day and therefore can be

> celebrated by anyone who so chooses. It just has

> special significance in Ireland as he is their

> Patron.

>

It's not exclusive to the catholics. It's celebrated by the Church of Ireland too.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/lspag1/4h3bla1.jpg?t=1236495019

Ah the complexities of national identities! Quite right that St George was not English. Just as St Patrick was not irish.

And "Scot" was a Roman name for an Irish tribe that settled on the mainland. And "Welsh" comes from an old Anglos-Saxon word meaning "foreigner" (Wealas). And the Welsh call their country Cymru, which derives from the Latin word "combrogi" meaning, roughly, fellow-countrymen. And Celt comes from the Greek word "keltoi" meaning foreigners but with a distinctly disparaging tone. And the Germans don't call themselves Germans (another Roman appellation) but Deutsch, remarkably like the Dutch calling themselves Dutch. And those Amish people known as the Pennsylvania Dutch are really from Germany (whoops, Deutschland). And French and France derive from a small but militarily effective Germanic (that's Deutsch) tribe the Franks, who took over the country back whenever. And Lombardy comes from the Lombards, a Scandinavian tribe who wandered south as the Roman Empire was falling apart. Just like Burgundy and the Scandinavian Burgundians. And Andalucia comes from the Arabic name - El Andalus. The Russians, of course began as Swedes. America's Indians were not Indian. The Falklands are Las Malvinas if you live in Buenos Aires. Not to mention the thorny issue of where Dulwich starts and ends, is West Dulwich really West Norwood etc., etc.

So much simpler to leave behind the romanticism of nationalism with all the conflicts and wars it generates, sigh. How about a "non-national" day, where we go to the EDT wearing anything except national symbols, talk to each other in love and harmony about World Peace?

Meanwhile to reflect the local area surely the EDT should be running Polish and Lithuanian national days? But not at the same time, please.