dirty blokes

James

(Resisting urge to continue Carry On-style banter)

Have to admit, the "metrosexual" is a marketeer's dream. But I really do think there's some truth in it. These days if you go into a gay bar the men are mostly unshaven, in baggy clothes and punky/raffish hairstyles. Whereas the straight men often look tanned, dapper and immaculate, not a hair out of place.

Seriously, I go along with the later part of Huguenot's entry from Wikipedia. I'd always understood a metrosexual to be a nice bloke who listened to women and maybe even thought like them - not necessarily feminine themselves but could put themselves in gals' shoes. Not cross-dressers you understand.

Before I get beaten down with roars from the men for suggesting that they don't normally listen, I don't agree with the thought that blokes are dirty. I know lots of clean ones.

Eh, did someone say something? Sorry, I wasn't listening ;)

Actually, I think I can see where you're coming from Polly. But a lot of stuff that seems to be identified with metrosexual seems to me to be just... well... what you'd expect from any decent sort of chap. It's as if it's being used to point to a lack of other, negative labels: slobby, dirty, selfish, boorish etc.

Am I right?

With you there Polly, thanks for sticking up for us straights. I'm fortunate in having lots of "girlfriends". I'm in touch with my feminine side and I'm always there if a friend needs to talk as I'm a good listener but I'm definitely not a metro or a gay, although I can camp it up with the best of them. I'm a man, I'm clean shaven, don't wear aftershave unless someone buys it for me, which is rare, and I certainly don't moisteurise. I'll leave that to the vain and narcissistic amongst us.

Yes Ant - I am inclined to agree. 'Men Behaving Badly' type programmes and annoying ads like that one where the bloke is cooking and the woman is on the phone saying she'll probably die thanks to his cuisine don't help with stereotypes.

*Bob* - ring is on the finger and Mr is very neat and tidy - I don't want to know what Dutch ovens are ...

Yes, Jah.. I am confused too.

I have been known to occasionally apply moisturiser so my FACE DOESN'T HURT but it seems you're happy to occasionally wear PERFUME so that you SMELL NICER.

Mmmm... where lies the vanity here?!

James and Bob. I seemed to have touched a bit of a raw nerve with you two yesterday. If you feel I have in someway offended you then I apologise sincerely it's just that I've never felt the need to wear "perfume" as you put it (I'm fragrant enough as it is, thanks) and moisturiser just doesn't enter my vocabulary. And, I'm confused too, why does your face hurt Bob?

Hee hee.. Not offended...

But Jah, you do wear perfume - sorry - aftershave. You said so. It's up there in black and white.

It seems that, whilst gruffly denouncing those that have fallen prey to the current metrosexual marketing push, you've conveniently ignored how you yourself were suckered by the previous one: when 'Enry said it woz ok to 'splash it on all over'. (Despite the fact that you ended-up smelling like a tart's underwear drawer and that people standing near to you in the pub found it difficult to breathe.)