New Conrad Shawcross sculptures arrive

maxxi

They're just a version of a Mobius strip- I expect we won't realise their 'artistic merit' until we know what they are called. Maybe they could be used as a sort of open receptacle for waste food now that we are going to have to pay for our own waste food bags from now on.

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They're just a version of a Mobius strip- I expect

> we won't realise their 'artistic merit' until we

> know what they are called. Maybe they could be

> used as a sort of open receptacle for waste food

> now that we are going to have to pay for our own

> waste food bags from now on.

New sculptures in Dulwich Park will be unveiled to replace a stolen Barbara Hepworth sculpture.

The sculptures by youngest living Royal Academician, British artist Conrad Shawcross were commissioned by the council as a legacy to the Two Forms Divided Circle Barbara Hepworth sculpture, which was stolen in 2011.

Conrad Shawcross said: ?Three Perpetual Chords are a counterpoint to a traditional civic sculpture in that the loops invite approach, play and physical interaction. The sequence of three works has emerged from my ongoing study of light and harmonics, creating a new trail through the park. They deal with the numbers within three musical chords, The Octave, The Fifth and The Fourth. These knot-like forms host a void within them and this is a subtle reference to Hepworth?s work, in which the hole is ubiquitous.?

Shawcross? sculptures, Three Perpetual Chords, will be officially launched at a public event on Saturday 18 April at Dulwich Park.

http://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/new-sculpture-to-be-unveiled-at-dulwich-park/

DulwichFox

Like 'em or loathe 'em, why not come and hear the artist himself come and introduce Three Perpetual Chords on Saturday 18th April, from 2pm? Given the pieces' link to music (see previous post), there will be live music from the London Contemporary Orchestra as well as free tea and cake.

In the park this early eve all three - now without their plastic defences - were being swarmed by adventurous kids crawling and swinging off them. Looked like they were having a ball so, art or climbing frames, they're a hit with the under-9s.

• 4 months later...

You don?t know what you?ve got till it?s gone.

God, how I miss the Barbara Hepworth in the park. What we have in its place are three huge, spiralling dog turds that no one has bagged and binned yet. I can?t decide if they most resemble dog turds or tapeworms, something intestinal anyway.

Whatever they are, they are piss poor.

• 2 weeks later...