The Rye Pub - Referb

LuvPeckham

Went to the Rye last night for a quick (ahem) beer and to have a look at the new decor and style.

I personally liked it, it has made the place a bit more funky without going over the top, the drinks are the same (thankfully) as is most of the food menu (some new dishes last night)

However I am curious to see what other people think of the new look

i haven't been in since the refurb (or for a while before), but i've always thought that the rye overrates itself

the food's ok (better food available for less in the vicinity), the drinks are expensive, they stung me with a service charge for putting a card behind the bar and then fetching my own drinks! it was (dunno now) poorly lit and the beer's badly kept in my experience

the garden's nice (and the key to it's success in my opinion) and i'm sure that it'll draw me in at times over the summer

PK , i had a similar experience in there, and they also tried to charge me for drinks ive never even heard of.. let alone drank! What was particularly annoying though was when i questioned the bill, the manageress proceeded to do an incredibly rude hand gesture behind my back...i thought ...what lovely hospitality...NOT!

but yeh , nice garden ...

BoB....Don't know about this , I personally can't stand these child friendly "Herne "type gaffs.........For me the formula is simple..put in the hours when our boys are young and reap the rewards....so I steer clear of these places for sure. Why ...well because I have made a huge effort to teach my boys how to behave when in any restaurant. The Herne family to me consists of well meaning & hard working middle class parents who basically use the place to do the right thing,sit together and eat a family meal, but in reality they let the kids do what they wish whilst the parents get half cut.

I don't blame them really , I have been there, working a 65 hr week for "the company" & then and the only time you see your children is not the time to lay down the law.

I personally don't let my children run riot anywhere in public, oh sure they are kids, very funny, very cheeky,pushing the boundaries, I absolutely adore them, so the upshot is for us choice. I know we can eat where we like because the our boys know the score. We are very lucky..but we create our own luck

WFD

I'm personally too long in the tooth to sit down and eat a meal surounded by noise and running ankel biter's but this is my personal veiw if every body was the same as me it would be a boring world, so rather than post after post complaining about differant eating establishment's that don't meet my needs and should change immediately to to my panderings, I prefer to find a restarant/pub/cafe that do meet my likes and patronise these venue. I'm glad to say in and around LL I can find these with out asking for any others to change. I can't see the point of some people that keep going to the same place to post that it is not what they like and it should be changed. Get's big shovel dig's the deepest hole I can, dive in and wait for incoming.

Bob S