Gay saturation.

Tarot

Brookside was the first British soap to feature an openly gay character when Gordon Collins came out in 1985.

In 1994 we saw the first pre watershed lesbian kiss.

Anna Friel (Beth Jordache) and Nicola Stephenson (Margaret Clemence) kissed up a storm on 'Brookside'

At the time this was quite controversial.

All the soaps are now competing to see who can appear be the most liberated...

It does seem that Gay scenes are sensationalized in the way they are portrayed.

In the seventies The Campaign for Homosexual Equality (CHE) fought to highlight Gay Rights

there was very much an atmosphere of Theatre on the many marches that were organised at that time.

Gay Men and Women were out to publically show their Sexuality with open embracing and kissing.

Times have changed though there still exists Homophobia in our society, I believe things must be

a lot better than in the past. (Not in all countries of the World)

The Soaps seem to be living in the past if they think that screening a Gay/Lesbian Kiss is going to

boost ratings and draw in millions of viewers as it did 20 years ago.

DulwichFox

Gave up watching Soaps a long time ago - and watch

things via Sky+ or Netflix usually - so watershed is

no more.

I have watched more US based programs recently -

but they all have a mix of characters too.

I almost feel it's Russel T Davies - Tarot doesn't like

he does have a load of exposure ;) I don't watch

loads of his shows - but then I'm not into relationship

stuff - more horror, history and SciFi.

http://www.metroweekly.com/2015/04/pushing-boundaries-russell-t-davies-shows/

Come on, people, be fair. Tarot is absolutely right.

Take Eastenders: there's Phil and Sharon, Roxy and Aleks, Charlie and Ronnie, Mick and Linda, Ian and Jane, Buster and Shirley,Shabnam and Kush...all the heterosexual singletons...oh, and there's Tina and Sonia.

Yup. Absolutely SWARMING with gay characters.

Faith schools 'are the most brainwashing cults being practised in the 21st century'- I work in one and it is insidious. If you are working in one and do not realise that the kids are brainwashed, and being brainwashed, then it is passing you by and you should be afraid, be very afraid!

I also work in a faith school. We've just had LGBT* week with guest speakers from churches, government department and goodness knows how many other areas of society.

And we've done stuff around female genital mutilation, Islamism, islamaphobia, feminism,importance of voting in a democracy. So yeah, brainwashing but from what I can see most schools, most of the time promote the values of a free and tolerant society.

(When we are not doing that we are also pretty good at teaching the National Curriculum)

*Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgendered

Not that I ever watched more than a handful of Brookside episodes.

Grew up with Corrie and Eastenders (how I firstheard of abortion) but haven't watched any soaps for years.

Do have the sneaky listen to The Archers whilst washing up.

Watch and see the amount of time given to gay storylines,in Emerdale recently the half hour programme had twenty minutes of it on the gay bi storyline.

The gay characters are always harping on about various aspects of their hard lives its so boring.

The writers seem to have an agenda to moralise to all the bad hetrosexuals.

Watch and see.

By the way, I expect you to react a bit emotional and result to mud slinging ,so feel free,

Jules6862 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You watched Brookside Jeremy! ,thought these soaps

> were mad for "stupid , boring" people !

I was aware of the media storm-in-a-teacup at the time, I didn't watch it though!

I did go through a phase of watching Eastenders as a teenager, but I stopped watching it when it eventually dawned on me how incredibly shite it was, and I became embarassed to even watch an episode.

Seabag Wrote:

> I mean imagine all the cliff hanging drama when

> the sliced loaf lorry crashes into the peanut

> butter factory

That's crying out for a punchline...maxxi, your public needs you!

Medusa Wrote:

> Come on, people, be fair. Tarot is absolutely

> right.

> Take Eastenders: there's Phil and Sharon, Roxy and

> Aleks, Charlie and Ronnie, Mick and Linda, Ian and

> Jane, Buster and Shirley,Shabnam and Kush...all

> the heterosexual singletons...oh, and there's Tina

> and Sonia.

>

> Yup. Absolutely SWARMING with gay characters.

Last time I watched Eastenders i think Phil got buried alive

Has this happened to anyone on the forum ?

The other saturation Simon Cowells monopoly of t.v. dont vote for B.G.T. its a forgone conclusion that Boyband will be the winners, never seen such a well groomed put together band by Simon since Harry Jagger andh his thrown in bandmates of one direction,its a farce.