Gay saturation.

Tarot

• 2 weeks later...

SO no one can make comment about homosexuals now is that what your trying to say.

Well expanding the subject what are your views on gay men on the t.v blatantly groping womens breast.If a hetro man done this he would be arrested,

There are two on t.v who are consistent offenders, one a morning fashion advisor and the other an ex gym dancer.

This groping of women is sexual assault.

Dont tell me you are all excempt to rules of behaviour.

Come on ladies its not ok to be touched up by gay men.

What are your hetrophobes views on that.

Tarot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What are your hetrophobes views on that.

Firstly that you are desperately trying to justify your nasty opinions. Secondly that you watch too much shit TV.

Otta Wrote:

> Look at me, look at me!!!

>

>

>

> Pleeeeeease, LOOK AT MEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't that the guitar break from Lynard Skynard's Freebird, Otta!!!!!

Can't believe this thread has been resurrected. Must get back to general election, far more engrossing.

Or Lynryd Skynryd even !!

Third time lucky: Lynyrd Skynyrd !!

It looks like Sonia in east enders is bisexual....how they know what their real proclivities are when they are always 3 sheets to the wind is beyond me....but at least they used a condom, the wrapper of which got stuck to the social worker's (complete with flowing scarf) bum...

"SO no one can make comment about homosexuals now is that what your trying to say."

Can you read english Tarot? It's not that you comment on homosexuality, it's that you come out with stupid nonsense like children being at risk if they see a gay character in a soap ffs. If you want to write backwards tripe like that in a public forum, then don't be suprised if people ask you to prove it. Instead you waste everyone's time by conveniently ignoring the stuff you write and playing the victim instead.

The OP's original question is fair enough, and is the subject of research by broadcasters. The BBC's research in 2012 found that:

- the vast majority of audiences are comfortable with the depiction of lesbian, gay and bisexual people on radio, TV and online.

- many lesbian, gay and bisexual people themselves feel they are still under-represented by all UK broadcasters.

"Experts urged for more mainstream inclusion in news and current affairs, and more creative and realistic depictions in factual and drama television."

?perhaps that's what the OP has experienced. If increased representation makes some people uncomfortable, that's ok - many people who feel that way will come around.

More details of the research on the BBC's website here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/lgb-portrayal

The problem with the tv depiction of gay people is that the programmes had some really very camp characters verging on the ridiculous for a long time...John Inman, Larry Grayson, Paul O'Grady, Danny la Rue and these people were associated with being gay. Julian Clary was the first 'camp' man to be seen to have an excellent wit and intellect but the damage had been done by the previously mentioned people.

A lot of those programmes / were at same time as It Ain't Half Hot Mum and Bless Thy Neighbour, Jim Davidson the comedian and other 'humorous' programmes. So race / creed was also fair game during that period and for years before.

It's in the past, things have moved on, I don't think such programmes would go down well at all nowadays, regardless of whether the programming regulators would allow it.

Therefore I don't agree previous TV depiction has any bearing on representation now. There's no dependency nor even any link.

I'm not sure what happened then has caused damage that exists now. Most of the people from that period who still carry that mentality will be dead soon anyway, carrying their prejudice with them and hopefully freeing the rest of society from any latent influence that may have persisted.

uncleglen Wrote:

> The problem with the tv depiction of gay people is

> that the programmes had some really very camp

> characters verging on the ridiculous for a long

> time...John Inman, Larry Grayson, Paul O'Grady,

> Danny la Rue and these people were associated with

> being gay. Julian Clary was the first 'camp' man

> to be seen to have an excellent wit and intellect

> but the damage had been done by the previously

> mentioned people.

I'm not into comedians. Don't find the majority even funny but if I had to pick one? Julian Clary. So clever because the humour comes naturally.

And Paul O'Grady? One of the kindest, sweetest guys on TV who always puts animals first. Lovely person.

I half listen to the archers, and whilst I am predominantly hetro (and a bloke) I find the gay character on that has a very sexy voice.

My guilty pleasure is of course the lesbian snog of Beth Jordache and Margaret from Brookie in around 96, which they deleted from the omnibus.

I was cyling with a gay lady friend a few months after and we both enjoyed that.

Fast forward twenty years and the world is a better place in many respects. But watching a coule of old editions of the New Statesman and Black Adder 2 and was surprised by some of the homophobic dialogue, and of course these were were right-on alternative comedians. Just a meida product of the age not really a slur against Rick and Rowan

• 4 weeks later...