Chinese Restaurants

ahh yes, I remember it well. Chez Nico was indeed on the site of Mr. Lius. Not for very long, but I had a memorable meal there circa year dot and his vegetables in garlic mayonnaise were a revelation to the unsophistacted tastebuds of those of us inhabiting the area during that era. I remember the bill as well!

• 3 months later...
My friend and I decided to visit Chopsticks this weekend because we read that they had a garden area and with the warm weather thought it would be nice to eat outside. We didn't know what to expect considering the comments people had posted about the food but we were pleasantly surprised! We agree with other forum members that the service was very friendly and place clean. Now, coming onto the food... we found the portion sizes were just right and despite other diners experience the food was very fresh and tasty (especially the king prawns with seasonal greens which was delicious). It wasn't bland at all or left an artificial after-taste that you find with food served at most chinese restaurants. I'd definitely be visiting again. I've dined at Gold Lee's a couple of months before based on the recommendations here and IMHO thought the food was ok but not exceptional.

Sorry to burst a bubble re Chopsticks, but when I dined there last summer I was sitting outside with a plum view into the kitchen: a member of staff had a huge plastic tray of frozen fish and was dropping it onto the floor to break the contents up. As expected, the frozen mass eventually broke and scattered all over the floor. Said staff member scooped it all up from floor and put it back in the tray, no doubt to be used for future meals. Put me off somewhat, and I've never been back.

I have found chopsticks to be overpriced for what it is and definitely wouldn't go back.

Mr Liu's is pretty middle of the road (seems to be a hit with families whenever i eat there?) - the only place i can recommend for good chinese is the Penisular in N.Greenwich.

sorry havent tried any take-aways.

As Mockney says, maybe we should give Stella the benefit of the doubt for the time being! For what it's worth, the food at Chopsticks is obviously nothing special, but I think their garden is very pleasant.

Had dim sum at Dragon Castle (elephant & castle) yesterday, it was pretty good. Better than most of the places in chinatown, probably better than The Penisular IMO.

Ate at Chopsticks for the first time on Sunday and tend to agree with most of what has been said (friendly service, nice enough environment but food a complete let down - won't bother again)...

My favourite two Chinese restaurants in the general are are Dragon Castle (great restaurant - food is brilliant with some unusual dishes - and they actually have a decent wine list - unusual for a Chinese) and Lamoon in Camberwell - on Denmark Hill. Lamoon delivers up to ED and is far better than any of the ED Chinese restaurants. Nice place to pop into too - not too far to walk from the Phoenix...

Oriental Culture started OK, though now they've gone "high salt" which is a shame, especially on the seaweed, Mr Liu's is better both to eat in/out and the staff are wonderful either way. Chopstick's is diabolical now, yet before the makeover they were better. Mind you they went so much over budget on the rebuild that they had to regroup somewhere. employing family as architects is never a good idea IMHO. Don't know Lamoon though I'm open to suggestions so will keep an eye out for flyers. Is the Dragons castle the large place at the junction of the Woolwoth Rd and Haygate st, my kids kove the dragons but I've never tried to park there :-S

Lamoon is Thai, but there's just enough menu crossover not to need to suffer the unmitigated pain of a local Chinese serve-up. It seemed much better Thai to me than the other local offerings mentioned here and there too.

You might not get a flyer (depending on where you live) as they're actually on Denmark Hill. But they do deliver in most of SE22.

I'll back recommendations for lamoon heartily for their take-out service [which has a very high quality returning customer memory]; no reason to think their sit down service fails. their food seems much more steamed than fried, certainly several dishes i usually dislike for being oily seemed much lighter and cleaner in flavour.

Jay rayner thought very highly of Dragon Castle. Apparently it has two menus; one for chinese and one for britons. I see the logic, especially where spices are concerned, but allegedly they aren't keen on brits seeing the 'real' one. Maybe it's cheaper!

Despite being the worst place in the 'conflict' universe, Elephant used to have the best trattoria pizzerria in London, the famous Castello's. Now it has a world beating chinese. is that because rents are so low they can afford to splash out on the actual grub while letting you out the door for less than thirty quid?

sorry for straying; go to lamoon in denmark hill!

Ultraconsultancy

Many Chinese restaurants have a separate Chinese menu, it's pretty common. I think it's just because they assume that English people won't be interested in certain dishes. Or perhaps they are the more basic (ie cheap) dishes, and they'd rather sell the more expensive food?

However - I've only had Dim Sum in Dragon Castle, but the Chinese and English menus were the same.

Annasfield Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is there anywhere in or around East Dulwich where

> you can get Dim Sum - preferably the steamed

> variety?

As per Ultraconsultancy above - best is Dragon Castle at Elephant & castle.

Also agree with him about Pizzeria Castello - a sad loss to the area and a definite downside to the regeneration plans. A few pints at the original Firkin pub "Goose & Firkin" followed by a pizza & glass of wine at Castello's was a perfect night out in the mid 80's.